New to this place - Howdy to ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hello all
Western NC here. Not too far from the Asheville airport in Henderson County.
Have done wood working to some degree since my high school days - thanks to my dad's influence and a great shop teacher. Thanks Mr Taylor!
Married, divorced - drifted away from my tools - got most back lol, they sat here and there, I remarried, moved, and now am rediscovering the love I have for 'all things wood'!. Wife is sharing the feeling and developing her own passions for the lure of lumber. The little Jet lathe I bought for her didn't hurt! She's interested in intarsia mostly now, so the scroll saw and bandsaw are somewhat spoken for more often than not.
Found this site through the Lumber Jocks site. Great people. If there's a down side to them. they aren't all (any that I know of yet) local.
I work for a fire department and mostly that's all I know anymore. Seems everyone I know is a fireman or rides an ambulance in medicine or possibly a cop. Looking forward to hearing about things that don't involve people in need and sirens. Much as I love it its nice to get away from it at times. The lure of the lumber keeps beckoning me -
Thanks for letting me ramble. Expect to be reading about y'all and the things you do soon.
CaptnA

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard! I did the volunteer Fire/EMS thing for 5 years back in the early 90s myself. Got 'burned out' & couldn't keep up work, family & that so something had to give. Enjoyed the time but it's a young man's game now. Hope to hear from you soon & don't forget - GET PICS!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome, Andrew! This is the best WWing site on the whole WWW!:eusa_danc:lol::icon_thum
Friendly folks always willing to help.
Thanks for your service to your community:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

Hopefully, our humorous, friendly group help take your mind off your work!

Don't hesitate to jump in with questions or suggestions.

Take care,

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Andrew, it's great that you could join us. I think it is awesome that you and your wife can enjoy woodworking together. I would love to have my wife join me in the shop (occasionally :-D) I would love to see some of both of y'alls work. Intarsia is something I would like to try some day.
You will definitely find that almost all of us are local (we have a few special members that aren't) in fact you might find some members that don't live far from you at all. I know of at least 4 members that live within a few miles of my house :eusa_danc:eusa_danc
Jump on in and have fun. I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing some pictures of your work.
Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Somebody 'splain intarsia to me please. I don't think I've ever heard the term but it sounds like a foot ailment.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Somebody 'splain intarsia to me please. I don't think I've ever heard the term but it sounds like a foot ailment.

Intarisa is the building of 3 dimensional pictures using different colored wood species cut to fit together.

rope-frame.jpg

Very cool stuff.
Dave:)

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Welcome Andrew,

I think you will find this site far more enjoyable than others out there.

Oh, by the way DON'T TOUCH the lathe it's contagious.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome Andrew this a great place to kick your heels back at. Theres a great group of folks here weather your real good like many here or a novice like me it's like a big family,and since no ones said it yet we like pics.

M

McRabbet

Hello all
Western NC here. Not too far from the Asheville airport in Henderson County.
<snip> The lure of the lumber keeps beckoning me -
Thanks for letting me ramble. Expect to be reading about y'all and the things you do soon.
CaptnA
Andrew, First, let me welcome you to the site -- we're happy you've found us and we want you to know that there are several www'ing folks nearby! I'm on the north side of Hendersonville and we've got several members in this area. As a matter of fact, we have such a strong group of woodworkers that we started the Western NC Woodworkers Association to allow many of us to get together once each month to share our experiences. We are meeting this coming Saturday in Asheville -- I'll send you an e-mail message with the details (but if you want, check our groups website at www.wncwa.org for the meeting info and a map under the Events part of the menu). We have about 40 members and welcome guests.

You'll find a wealth of good information on this site, too -- We love pictures and many members have Photo Gallery's chocked full of great pictures of their projects, shops and other ww'ing stuff. We encourage you to upload some of your stuff, too! In addition, we have excellent resources in our Link and Download Libraries for members to enjoy. Welcome aboard and we hope to see you this next Saturday.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Andrew. Remember though, we don't have a discount for 'family membership';-);-);-);-), so you wife has to join also and join our other lady members.

George

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer Andrew!
Visit us and you're bound to be visiting other members in person soon :icon_thum

Cheers,
Roger

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Andrew..... Glad you found us. You know the Mrs can also join the baord. There are several woman members and at least one other husband and wife team.

Remember nothing is real without a picture.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the NCWW site,:eusa_danc glad to have you join.:icon_thum Pictures we like all pictures.:-D

Danny

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hello Andrew, it's great to have you aboard. Yes, we are a very friendly bunch and would love any input that you or your wife have to offer. Feel free to join in on , or add any posts.

Jimmy:)

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Hiya, Andrew. I can barely write legibly, and that ain't all the time. So I dare not attempt intarsia. As Insp. Harry Callahan said, "A man's gotta know his limits."

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Cap'n! You need look no further, you've arrived! Good luck with some ww "therapy." Sounds like you've earned it!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hello Andrew,

Let me add one more welcome. I always am happy to hear that another woodworker joined us. Tell us some more about the kinds of woodworking projects you like to do... and do upload some photos... we love photos.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS