new to the east

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff Dewell

New User
Cliff
Hi my name is cliff, I just moved to hickory in feb from san diego. In san diego, being a woodworker is somewhat rare and I am pleased to find this site here in nc. I look forward to all the reasorces at my didsposal and I guess now's as good a time to start as any. Im going to be building an executive desk in an antique french style and am looking for a specific type of wood to build it from. At my local wood vender in solana beach (san diego) I baught a peice of african mohogany(kahla I think is it real name) and I love the figure in the wood. This is the wood I want and I cant find any around here. I spent a long time on the phone and the closest I found some was on the coast(a four or five hour drive):saw:. Does anyone know where I could get some. I need enough to make an executive desk and the fecaud for a fire place. Any help would be grately appreciated.

T

tmwassack

Greetings from Asheboro!
Welcome to hot and steamy NC and North Carolina Woodworker! A quick search of the Hardwood Store of NC http://www.hardwoodstore.com/specialty.html, yielded a source for African mohogany. They are located in Gibsonville, NC - not too far off Interstate 40/85.

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Cliff, to the site and the State, we are glad you could join us. As you've just seen, if you want to find out something ww'ing related in this area, this is the best place to ask. Lot's of helpful and fun folks here. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of this desk as it progresses along.
See you around!!

Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Cliff... welcome to the group. The Hardwood Store is a great resource. I hope you find what you're looking for there.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Cliff, glad to have you in North Carolina. Also good to have you at ncww.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Hey Cliff, Welcome!

Im from Los Angeles (now here @5yrs) and relatively new to woodworking (@3 1/2 yrs) and will be a member on this site, 1yr in September.

You have found one of, if not, the best Woodworking site around! Folks very, very nice. I've met about a dozen or so, and would like to meet em all, if possible.

Anything your little woodworking heart desires, you can probably find or get advice to find here!

Welcome again,

Matt

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to our corner of the interwebz. The information and suggestions around here are reliable.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Welcome Cliff - your no longer on the left coast, you on the right coast now :gar-La;

Couple right coast tips:
* It's ok to drive slow in the fast lane.
* It's better to take the back roads than hi ways - it may take you three times as long to get there - but that's ok.
* Turn signals are a dealer option.
* Acceleration ramps - there's no such thing - just mash on the gas.
* Tobacco is the cure all.
* Smile and Wave at everyone - why? why not?
* Bo is not something you use for hunting but you may take Bo with you hunting.
* If you can't understand someone just think on it a while it'll come to you.
* Don't eat it, if you can't figure out what part of the animal it came from.
* never walk in a freshly bushhogged field
* If you don't like bugs - to bad - get used to it.

littlebhuddha

New User
Jim
I just moved to Dickson, Tn from San Diego, Clairemont to be exact, last October. Quite a change in scenery. I'm lovin' being out of So Cal. Welcome.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Cliff. There are lots of great guys and girls on this site all willing to help and share.

Odd Zak

New User
Joe
Welcome to NC. I moved out (Durham, NC) here from Oakland, CA. Which is very different from So Cal, but not everyone around here knows that.

Have you started drinking a lot of water for the summer months? That was the first and most important thing I learned when I moved out here. The humidity is a killer, and when I'm out and about, I forget to get enough water in me. I used to wonder why I had a headache at 11 am. Especially when I didn't drink the night before!

I'm also new to WW. So I have a lot to catch up on.

Hope to see you around.

Joe

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Welcome to the site Cliff!

You might like the weather here, it changes! I'm sure you got sick of perfect days in San Diego :)

Jim

Cliff Dewell

New User
Cliff
Greetings from Asheboro!
Welcome to hot and steamy NC and North Carolina Woodworker! A quick search of the Hardwood Store of NC http://www.hardwoodstore.com/specialty.html, yielded a source for African mohogany. They are located in Gibsonville, NC - not to far off Interstate 40/85.

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC
WOW, amagine that, first responce solves my problem! I spent a whole afternoon browsing the web looking for that! thanks man. thanks to everyone who welcomes me. Oh and bhudha, I lived like 15 minutes north of you in rancho santa fe(del mar/ solana beach area). you lived on clairmont mesa blvd.? had a buddy who lived off the 805 and clairmont mesa. Oh and yes I do drink lots of water, used to train MMA and still try to keep it up in my garage( my workshop is in a very small room off the end of the garage because help is pivitol) until i find a good place to train here. built a nice gym but now im doing my ww'ing in the driveway because my tools pretty much fill the little space i have left.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site and to NC. I'm sure it is quite different here than in So Cal, but NC is a very beautiful state. From the coast, to the plains, to the mountains. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the desk and to your input in the forums. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Cliff!!! AND N. Carolina!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Don't forget to share some pictures of your work. We love pictures around here!:wsmile:

Wayne

bpeck

New User
Brian
Welcome Cliff. There are good and very helpful people here.

I moved from Tucson AZ 14 years ago. NC (or The East as we Westerners say) does take some getting used to, but then I am a desert rat born and bread (with a few years in western Colorado). If I can't see the horizon I get worried.
One quick bit of advice, when North Carolinians point to their mountains you just smile and say "how nice", and refrain from saying, "what mountains?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS