New to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Hello everyone. My name is Bob. I lived in PA for 50 years, then moved to Arizona for 15 years and in June of 2006, my wife convinced me that we should move to NC to be closer to our children. One daughter lives in Apex, and the other lives in Abington, PA. While I am new to NC, I am not new to woodworking. I first started to work with wood in high school some 48 years ago and have been doing so ever since. I spent 4 years in the Air Force after high school, 3 years of it in Germany, and while I didn't get a chance to work with wood then, I did get to see some the the craftmanship of those old time woodworkers. As for me, I still have a long way to go.

I finished constructing the building for my workshop in November of 07 and am now getting it set up the way I want it. Decided to work on getting this one right (if there is such a thing as that ;-)). I still have more work to do on getting things built and set up, but since I am retired I have some free time to work in "the shop". Once I get this site figured out, I'll see if I can get some pictures posted.

I am new to scroll sawing, but I find that I really enjoy it. I am just a slow cutter, but from what I read and hear from other people, practice will make me better. So I continue to practice and have a ball doing it.

I look forward to the wealth of information that I am sure I will find here, and maybe I'll even be able to contribute some "wealth" of my own. Also look forward to meeting some of you great people. :-D

newtonc

New User
jak
Welcome aboard.
I lived in Doylestown and Sellersville for a spell.
Loved the air shows at Willow Grove every summer.
I think you will like NC,not nearly as hot as Arizona....and not nearly as cold as PA.

CaptainCowie

New User
Marcus
Welcome to the forum and welcome to NC! Both are truly great places to be! I bet everyone would love to see some pics of the new shop if you can. We are really into drooling over other peoples new shiny stuff.:lol:

T

toolferone

Welcome aboard, and welcome to NC. I am glad you found us and I am sure we are glad too. As I am sure you have noticed the motto around here is "no pics didn't happen" We look forward to your pics and input here on the friendlist WW site on the web.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the friendliest wwing group on the net! As mentioned above, we LOVE pictures. Scrolling is definitely one thing where practice makes a difference. We have a number of very talented scrollers here - I am am in awe of some the projects being done. I'm also happy to offer suggestions (as I'm sure others will attest to). Remember, the only dumb qeustion is the one you didn't ask. Please post pictures of your shop and work, and jump in on any discussion.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Bob, it's great to have you join us. As Cathy mentioned there are a lot of very talented scrollers here. What she failed to mention is that she is one of them, and her work is awe inspiring to say the least.
Pittsboro is a nice area, I have been working around those parts a lot lately. How did you come up with the name of Bobcat?? Probably got experience with one trying to move all the Pittsboro rocks out of the way to find the ground 8-O8-O
I look forward to your input in the forums...and to beat a dead horse...some pics of your shop and work :-D

Dave:)

cpw

New User
Charles
Willkommen. Have you made it to the mountains in the western part of the state yet? Lots to see and do up here.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the dust bin, Bob! This is a friendly group always willing to help.
Don't hesitate to jump in with questions/suggestions.
LOML is from State College, PA. What area are you from?
Take care,

JohnW

New User
John
Hello Bob,

LOML and I make trips to Pittsboro several times a year just to hang out at the General Store Café and listen to bluegrass. Doc Branch Band plays there now and then. Good food there too.

Welcome to NC and to this forum.

John W

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site.:eusa_clap Glad to have you join.:icon_thum
But please post pictures of your shop and work. Do not wait till shop is done,:eusa_hand No shop is ever done.:eusa_doh:

Danny

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bob, welcome to NCWW. If the bobcat part means you have fun power "toys", you'll fit right in :) I believe people mentioned pictures, so I won't repeat it...

BTW we like pictures

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
From one Yankee to another WELCOME. You picked a great place to land (NC and NCWW). As you can guess by my handle, I am one of the scrollers on this site. Like most I do other wood working but scrolling is my first love. I am only about 20 minutes east of you on 64. Let me know if I can be of help or if you want to stop over and wood chat sometime.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Bobcat!
NCWWer is a delightful place to visit and NC is a great place to stay. :icon_thum

Enjoy,
Roger

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Bob,

Welcome to our pile-o-sawdust. Glad you joined us here. You mentioned that you were in Germany for 3 years? Where? I was stationed in Augsburg for 3 years, although you might have beaten me there by a couple of years. I arrived in 72 and left in 75.

Again, welcome
Ray

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Welcome Bob, where in PA where you? We came from Coatsville back in 76. Mark your calander for May 18, big picnic, you are invited. Wife and I are right down the road at Jornan lake, come over and visit some weekend.
dick

cptully

New User
Chris
Bob,

Welcome to NC and NCWW! I grew up here (Raleigh) but then spent 7 years in UT and 5 in MD. I'm glad to be back in NC and looking forward to the conversion of a garage that consists of nothing but studs and siding into a workshop over the next several months. Sounds like we will be following similar paths, although since I am no where near retirement yet, I expect you will move a little faster than me!

Chris Tully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors