New to NC Woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Greetings from Fayetteville everyone. I stumbled across this site this morning while searching the web and I am glad I did. It looks to be a very impressive site that is regionally focused which is one of the things I like about it. I hope to visit the site often to read the posts and hopefully contribute as well. I believe the reason I listed for joining in my profile was to get woodworking news but I also hope to meet fellow woodworkers in my area as well.

About 4-years ago upon my return to Fayetteville I finally got around to adding a 26 x 32 detached garage behind the house and have been working ever since, when time permits, on finishing the inside to use as a shop. Along the way I have been upgrading and adding to my collection of tools to the point that I just about have everything I need (if that's truly possible ;-)) to start on some bigger projects. In the past I have mainly focused on building smaller gift type items but now I am looking forward to building some new kitchen cabinets and a bedroom suit based off of Wood Magazine's sleigh bed plans.

As for woodworking, I think the biggest frustration for me is being able to locate local sources for things like hardwood lumber, project supplies and hardware. I seem to do a lot of online shopping along with road trips to places like Raleigh to find supplies and lumber. Hopefully some of the kind folks here will be able to point me in the right direction to some additional local resources.

D L Ames

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined up. I think there is a wonderful thread on sources going in the "Where can I buy and sell" forumn. Specifically here:

http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=117#poststop

I think that most people find that the Hardwood Store of NC is an excellent source. It does require a road trip to Greensboro, but it's not too bad, and they have a wonderful warehouse.

We'd love to see some pictures of your new cabinets while they are in progress.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
clowman said:
I think that most people find that the Hardwood Store of NC is an excellent source. It does require a road trip to Greensboro, but it's not too bad, and they have a wonderful warehouse.

Thanks for the link to the other thread Clay. Hopefully, once I navigate around this site a bit more I will be able to find the sort of resource info I am looking for. I have been up to the Hardwood Store of NC a couple of times and have been very pleased with their selection and friendly attitude. I was just there a few weeks ago to pick up some QS white oak and found a nice piece of bird's eye maple sitting off to the side that I was able to buy also. I haven't seen it mentioned in the other thread yet but the Hardwood Store was preparing to move into a larger location. They will still be in Gibsonville but out on the main road (NC 50??) and about a block up form their old location.

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I had no idea they were moving. That's good to know. Have any idea on when they are moving?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hi DL and Welcome!

My motivations for joining sound about like yours and so far, I've not been disappointed. I wish I could have met everyone this past weekend at the event in Hicory!
That's interesting about the Hardwood store moving. I hope it's because their business is doing well. I actually emailed them this morning in an attempt to get them to participate in our forum. I can't imagine that they could find a better way to advertise any specials, over-runs or deals that they may have. Hopefully they'll get back with me...or just start posting! I think that that would be great for all of us.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome. Glad to have here.

I too mentioned to them about the site. The guy wri\ote it down. So we'll see.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group. Look around and you'll find a lot of good information and some really nice folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS