New to NC - Pitt County

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Man

New User
Tony
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to NC...we relocated from NH to Greenville in May. I really like this website and am glad I found it.

I had my own business in NH and had to dissolve when my wife's company transferred us down here, but I do custom cabinets and furniture. I'm going to try and figure out how to put some pictures up, but if you'd like to see my work, check out the website we put together:

Hartz Family Woodworking

Unfortunately, not having any luck finding work down here. Even a regular job is hard to come by...is the employment situation this bad in Eastern Carolina?? :eusa_thin

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to NC...we relocated from NH to Greenville in May. I really like this website and am glad I found it.

I had my own business in NH and had to dissolve when my wife's company transferred us down here, but I do custom cabinets and furniture. I'm going to try and figure out how to put some pictures up, but if you'd like to see my work, check out the website we put together:

Hartz Family Woodworking

Unfortunately, not having any luck finding work down here. Even a regular job is hard to come by...is the employment situation this bad in Eastern Carolina?? :eusa_thin

Welcome to the board. This is a great place to be.

As far as employment in NC..... the entire state is bad for the most part. Furniture and textiles hit most of the state pretty hard. I think Raleigh is the only area not affected by it.

Are you going to try to restart your business in NC?

John

T-Man

New User
Tony
Hi. I've tried to start up. Not a nibble. Website, mailers...everything...and not a bite, so i started looking for a job and nothing there either. I just don't get it.:eusa_thin It's very discouraging.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hi. I've tried to start up. Not a nibble. Website, mailers...everything...and not a bite, so i started looking for a job and nothing there either. I just don't get it.:eusa_thin It's very discouraging.

Woodworking has been a part of this state for a long time so there are woodworking families all around. The problem to me is competition. There is lots of it especially in the carcass type construction market. There are some pockets of retirment communities in the west that are stirring up new markets for woodworkers, but I'm afraid you aren't near any of them.

I think there might be hope in custom heirloom furniture market your way. If you can make some gallery peices and put thme out that might kick start things. I'm getting ready to debute my first issue of my sculptural rockers to a gallery hoping to see a response. Just gotta find the nitch.

Good Luck,

John

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Hey, Welcome to the group! I have been here a week or so, and love this site. I think you will enjoy it too. Good luck at finding work. Eastern NC isn't the best place for new-commers to find work. I have found this area to kinda be a "not-what-you-know-but-who-you-know" area. Still, don't get too discouraged. Just keep trying, and I pray that you will find something.

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to our group! I truly hope you can get a business established. Your work is impressive. I think you'll find a lot of talented and friendly folks here.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome Mike to the best woodworking site on the WWW :icon_thum That is some beautiful work :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Welcome to the site and also to NC. Your work is beautiful. Have you promoted your services to custom home builders?

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member

Collans & Aikman, in Framville just clossed its doors so there is a lot of folks in your area looking for work right now:cry::cry::cry:

Welcome to the site and wish you luck

gator

George
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard. i am surprised that between ECU and the hospital that there is nothing available in the job market. What skill sets do you have? Even if it only in the woodworking field, there should be some openings in the maintenance departments of either place to get your feet on the ground with and then be able to look further and wait longer until you find something more to your satisfaction

George

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the state and to the site. Sorry the hear that you are finding it difficult to find work in your area, but keep trying and we're sure that you'll find a shop that needs your talent. Go to the Member's list and click on advanced Search -- then select just your county and you'll get the names of fellow NCWW members in your immediate area -- repeat for surrounding counties and send them a message to see if they have any leads.

You might also try furniture repair or "handyman" services or renovations. I've supplemented my retirement income by doing some commissioned pieces and to make some extra bucks, I also do decks. Once you've done a few, you can make pretty good money and customers will recommend you.

Best of luck in your search.

Rob

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello and welcome to the site. Looking at your website, your work is beautiful. With craftsmanship like that, I would think it's just a matter of getting your name out to the right people like custom home builders. Good luck!!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the NCWW website. I'm glad you decided to join us. I looked at your website and your work is fantastic. With your experience, I bet that you'll be able to answer a lot of our how-to questions.

Ray

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome T-Man nice looking work also Im sure we will enjoy your input

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Welcome to NC and the site Tony, I am glad you could join us here. Good luck with the job search.

D L

sawman

New User
Albert
Welcome Tony aka T-Man,
I just joined this interesting group and have spent some time looking at others work.
Your work is beautiful, I like the bar, of course the wife liked the kitchen.
I agree with Splinter, you need to take your brag book and go visiting the custom home builders. You may find pricing a bit different than in NH but your work speaks for itself.
Good luck on finding a job, you will.

Later,
sawman

Still have not figured out how to add a photo to a reply, but I will.

J

jeff...

Welcome T-Man, the NC furniture market has been hit hard, my understanding is a lot of it is going overseas. You'll find something, jsut don't give up, trying.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
welcome.

From what I have seen in the two years I've lived here in the east there is a lot of small cabinet shops and not a lot of money. Although some turn out nice stuff, I've seen a lot of low quality cabinets and furniture that goes for cheap; because that is all that a lot of people have to spend. As more and more retirees move south (Washington has four new developments aimed at retirees with condo starting prices in the $400-500K range), and as ECU and the hospital expand a market for quality, custom made, furniture may develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS