New-to-me 10" jointer restored

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I just finished restoring a 10" shortbed (60") jointer from the 40s, made by the Adelard Soucy company in Quebec. It's a serviceable, no frills jointer. It's main attraction to me was that it would give me sufficient width for stock prep without taking up my whole shop (and a great stand also). New paint, bearings, pulleys, belts, electrical, 3hp leeson motor, blade guard and belt guard. Ha not much original except the arn. Runs like a dream now. Posted some other pics over at owwm but I won't bore you with excessive ones here.
PXL_20201205_014859377.jpg
PXL_20201205_014735214.jpg
PXL_20201205_014756472.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Cool Machine, would be wild to get a helical head for it ....... just ask Santa .... I think his first name is Neil :p

llucas

luke
Senior User
That is SOOO COOOL! What a great project! And it should be a mainstay in stock prep.
Thanks for sharing.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
The casters are REALLY nice - do you know what their weight rating is?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
The casters are REALLY nice - do you know what their weight rating is?

Oh yeah these casters are AWESOME... I've got a bunch on my machines. They have levelling rubber feet so you can move your machines around easily and then make them stay firmly in place when you want to. They're rated up to 1100 lbs. for a set of four, and they make a beefier version too that is rated up to 2200 lbs. Now, they're RATED for that much according to the website, but I have no idea if they would actually support that much weight. They're cheap Chinese knockoffs of real Footmaster casters, but a set of four footmasters costs $130 and a set of the knockoffs costs $40, so I'm taking my chances with the knockoffs. The whole jointer I don't think weighs more than 500 lbs so I think I have a pretty good baked-in safety factor.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, I originally ordered these: DOZAWA Workbench Casters with Quick-Release Caster Plate Set (4PK), 2 Mounting Options, Retractable Workbench Stepdown Casters Adjustable Polyurethane Durable Steel Construction: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
(A quick release version that has recent popularity)
BUT, that didn't work - it would not lift my bench!:eek:
First it is hard to get it installed at the right height.
Second, the holes in the plates or the casters themselves only allow a #12 or #14 screw and the weight of my bench nearly rips the screws out of the wood!

So next week, we will see how the version I bought on Amazon when they arrive...
Not sure, but I think mine are Chinese knockoffs - supplier name: Happybuy :p:cool::p

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
C'mon Richard, 'fess up, you just bought that new off the showroom floor! That is a really great restoration/retrofit! Maybe I should bring over 2-3 tractors for restoration--I know you could make me happy!

Padizzledonk

New User
Pat
Thats super cool.

Nice job!

Im getting a Powermatic 87 from 67 up and running but I think im gonna just leave it as is...it has a certain je ne sais quoi to it. It came out of a machine shop so I had a lot of grime on it, thankfully all oil so 0 rust, but jesus, it was such a mess lol...I dont think it will ever not smell like a machine shop...its not a "bad" smell necessarily but it's "distinctive". It just seems like so much damn work to brighten it up

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS