New to Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster2

New User
Don
Recently joined group and look forward communicating with some regional woodworkers. I currently reside in Lexington, Virginia but have North Carolina roots - my wife is from Perquimans County and I have previous addresses in Vance, Gates, Perquimans & Harnett Counties in NC. I am a forester & sales manager for a medium sized hardwood sawmill in Buena Vista, VA (you can view our web site at www.shlco.net) producing about 12 million board feet of hardwood lumber annually. Major species are poplar, red oak and white oak. Due to the unfortunate loss of our region's furniture manufacturing base to the Asian basin, we export most of our kiln dried lumber to Europe & Asia.

I enjoy woodworking, hunting & fishing, Scouting (33 year Scout/Scouter) and gardening when the weather is less than 90 degrees! Any spare time I have I have been building my future retirement shop and furnishing and restoring some tools for the shop. One of my tools is a 20" Delta planer that I purchased from Wake Co. schools a couple of year ago. The planer sat in storage until last month when I finally finished wiring my shop. I just started this afternoon constructing my dust collection system which will take me several weekends to complete if the weather cools off some.

My initial exposure to woodworking was in middle school and was rekindled by my late father-in-law who taught Vo-Ag in Perquimans Co. (Hertford) for over 30 years. Restricted by several career moves (VA/ME/GA/LA/VA) and limited space, my woodworking tools for 25 years were largely my Shopsmith and a Makita 2030 planer/jointer which served me well for 2 kitchen restorations in Louisiana & my current home in Virginia. It seems that I've gone the opposite direction now with several older pieces of equipment including 2 pieces that are 3 phase that are powered by a rotary phase converter.

I plan to visit the forum frequently and hope to contribute information & experiences whenever possible.

Don

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to North Carolina Woodworker.net. We are glad that you joined our forum.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Don,

Welcome to the group. We like lots of pictures. These pictures could be of your shop, tools, jigs, works in progress (WIP), finished projects, etc. The group has a vast knowledge of all things related to woordworking and many other topics. Post often.

Steve

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the NCWW family. I am just a stone throw south of the VA/NC border.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Howdy and welcome to the group.There's been some old iron rebuilds on here for the searching.
Tony

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, glad you found us!
Look forward to your input and seeing your work.
Enjoy the site-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS