New Table Concept - "The Ballerina" Complete with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Everybody,

Many of you have seen this in progress over the past couple of months so here's the final result.
This is the 1st table of this new concept which is a variation of other 3 leg tables that I've made. The concept was to canter the legs in a bit to make it look as if it was standing on tiptoe's and then I added the white feet to accentuate "The Ballerina" idea.
This is the beginning of my experimentation with marquetry and the design is called Louis Cube's. This is the design I demo'd at the Charlotte area Xmas get together. Overall I'm fairly happy with it and look forward to improving on the design as I build more versions. The finish is high gloss Lacquer rubbed out to semi-gloss on the base and then waxed-while the top was polished out to a mirror sheen.

Enjoy
cherry_ballerina_3_030_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

cherry_ballerina_3_034_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery
cherry_ballerina_shoot_2_004_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

cherry_ballerina_table_1_011_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Very impressive, both in design and execution. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! The table is both beautiful as well as elegant and is no doubt the product of a gifted craftsman! Thank you for sharing.

Donn

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
HEY, that table looks familiar ! Man, it sure did turn out Great, the flow of the lines are as graceful as it gets. I was realy did admire this piece at the Christmas meeting and was hopeing you would get a chance to finish it soon and the feet or should I say toes just complete the piece , congrats my friend you hit a home run w/ this one. R.K.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
Shamrock -
That is one cool piece of work. I especially love the feet and legs of the table (sounds like a fetish maybe...). They strike me in a non-traditional fashion so it would be interesting to see the top in a similar fashion. I do like the marquetry (it's beautiful), but it just seems to fight with those feet to me IMHO. Imagine some inlay work that was non-geometric, like a ribbon. Or if you have ever seen the furniture with carving that looks like linens draping over the edge, I could envision that motif/style blending well with those legs and feet. I hope I don't offend, rather give some food for thought about where that design might be able to go.
Keep up the great work!
Jonathan

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Thanks al for the comments and critiques.

To answer a few questions. I did not do a "WIP" series on this table although the Charlotte area NCWW's got to see a few of the processes I used in demo's.

The top is made using the marquetry pattern that was described about 1 year ago by Mark Adams in Popular Woodworking (or just Woodworking now). He did a series on working with veneer that lasted a few magazines. After I made the veneer design I glued it to baltic birch plywood with a vacuum press (thanks Rick) and then surrounded it with a solid cherry outside.

This table design is a work in progress and it will have many many variations. Ultimately what sells well will dictate what I build more often. The marquetry design is more traditional while the table base is more modern, well just have to see how it's accepted as this is the 1st. I love the folding leaf designs mentioned and I am actually working on a new foot pattern that emulates the one used on those designs.

I have yet to make the transition to "full time" yet as currently the sales are still building. However, I do this about 3 days a weeks now and am having alot of fun exploring new designs and concepts.

Thanks again all, keep the comments coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS