New Supermax 19-38 Changing Paper Issues

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Hey All,

I picked this unit up a few months ago and it has lived up to my expectations. Recently, after I burned through the factory installed 80 grit, I bought some bulk rolls and cut my own lengths and tapers per mfg instructions.

The first 2 rolls I installed had excellent results. Now, it I'm getting a lot of chattering and subsequent tearing on new rolls taking light passes. I'm installing the rolls the same way as the first two. I did notice, there's a bit of slack where the tapered end is inserted in the slots - like it's not inserted far enough in. I've tried altering the taper a bit but still having issues.

Has anyone had to climb a learning curve on these to get it right? It's not the cost of the paper but the 110 mile roundtrip to get more.

Thanks in advance!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a PerformX 16-32. Installing paper has always been a PIA. Putting the clip on the motor side of the drum is just plane bad design. They give you this handy dandy little tool to help, but it is difficult to use. I've seen a hook & loop drum upgrade, but have no idea how it works in use. In fact if anyone out there has done the hook & loop thing I would like to know how it worked out.

Pop

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a Performax 37 x 2 model. I've noticed that after changing the paper, it starts to loosen after a few minutes of use. I stop the machine, re tighten the paper, and everything is fine.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
The entire Drum sander use is a learning curve, although not a very complicated one.
The sander should be used to take the slightest cut on each pass and not to exceed that for a lot of reasons. Friction will cause the drum to become super hot and destroy the wood as well as the sandpaper.
Personally, I never use any finer than 100 grit paper and only take the slightest cut in that the sander is not designed to be used for finishing.
When sanding narrower pieces, place them in the sander at an angle so as to use the entire width of sandpaper and drum thus, distributing the heat buildup over the entire drum.
Putting the paper on can be a PITA and as Bill mentioned, after placing the paper on it and after a few minutes of use, retighten the paper on the drum to compensate for any "stretch". Also, when you wrap the paper on the drum, make certain there is no overlap and as you're sanding, check occasionally to see if the paper has stretched and retighten it. A wrap of paper can actually last a pretty long time.
By the way, I did find all this out after destroying a lot of paper and wood.
I also buy the big rolls of Jet paper that are pre marked on the back for the size machine you're using. It's a lot cheaper than cutting what you think is the correct length only to find it too short and unusable.

Last edited:

BKHam

Bradley
User
I use small size binder clips (like a paper clip) to hold my paper in place while i fiddle with the attachment clip inside the drum.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Always check for slack in the paper before using. I avoid using the first few inches of the drive side of the sander if I can. I've also used reinforced packing tape on the ends to help pull the slack out and hold the ends down. Hope this helps.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Mine came with a special little tool, but I don't use it.

But yes, getting the paper into the right position on the take up side is a bit fiddly.

Why did they put it on the right side?

Hjanes

Harlan
User
Agree with the stretch conclusion based on my 22-44 Jet. Origin of initial slack might be coming from both ends at the angle the paper makes from drum to holding clamp. A crisp angle when mounting the paper might minimize the issue. Also agree with a light touch in using. In cleaning up surfaces I put the material through the sander an additional time without changing the drum height. There's a bit of give in both the paper and the platen, and letting that "give' provide the last pressure seems to improve the surfaces. Take some time in using the machine and try some varying approaches and you'll find what works for you and your machine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS