New shop suggestions

Ken_NC

Ken
User
When I wired my shop a few years ago, the code said that any wiring above 8' didn't have to be in conduit. So, if that's still true, and if your ceiling is higher than 8', I'd highly recommend that. I ran pvc conduit from each surface mounted 110 or 220 outlet box up the wall to 8' level, where there was a junction box. From there, cables exiting the junction box ran horizontally (supported from the wall by zip ties) to the next box, or to the breaker box, depending on what I needed on that circuit. I even sharpie-labeled each cable with a name that described the circuit. Running "naked" cables like that allows easy changes to the wiring down the road. The inspector really liked it.
Also, a good suggestion from the inspector that I implemented: install an all-weather cover or something similar to keep dust out of the socket openings.

Attachments

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
When I had my shop building built, I was given one observation: "A man needs 12 feet a year on his shop building"

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Opinions based on experience:
  • Since you're building new, get high ceilings; 9' minimum, preferably 10'
  • Install excessively bright LED light fixtures.
  • Centrally located in the ceiling install 2 50' or longer retractable extension cords with triple head. Make one of them 20 amp, circuit breaker to tool plug-in. Smartest move I made in my shop.
  • Install a sanding table with high-powered vacuum system. It's amazing how fine sanding dust can coat every surface in your shop, even with ceiling mounted air filter. Trap the dust at its source.
This last idea I saw and think it's genius. If your shop space is going to force you to put machinery on wheels and push it up against the wall until you need it, then pull it out so you have room to work, reconfigure your dust collection system. Instead of running pipes and drop pipes and gates all around the walls, which BTW will require a much larger HP collector, install one 2-3 HP collector in the center of your floor space. Attach a splitter and hook up one hose directly to your table saw, which will be close by. The other hose is a long 4" flex hose with a handle that will reach every corner of your shop. When you pull out a machine from the wall to use it, just attach the hose. This is amazingly convenient and much cheaper than running duct work all over the shop.

Last thought: It only costs 85% more to go first class. If you want it, buy it. You'll be glad you did one year after you have been using your shop.

Pop Golden

Pop
Corporate Member
In my shop building talk I address the tool layout idea. I find the best idea is to draw the floor plan (big 1/2 in. to the ft.) cut your machines out (remembering to leave room for you) and move them around. This will give you the freedom to try lots of different ideas without moving cast iron.

Pop

smurg

Marty
Senior User
Opinions based on experience:
  • Since you're building new, get high ceilings; 9' minimum, preferably 10'
  • Install excessively bright LED light fixtures.
  • Centrally located in the ceiling install 2 50' or longer retractable extension cords with triple head. Make one of them 20 amp, circuit breaker to tool plug-in. Smartest move I made in my shop.
  • Install a sanding table with high-powered vacuum system. It's amazing how fine sanding dust can coat every surface in your shop, even with ceiling mounted air filter. Trap the dust at its source.
This last idea I saw and think it's genius. If your shop space is going to force you to put machinery on wheels and push it up against the wall until you need it, then pull it out so you have room to work, reconfigure your dust collection system. Instead of running pipes and drop pipes and gates all around the walls, which BTW will require a much larger HP collector, install one 2-3 HP collector in the center of your floor space. Attach a splitter and hook up one hose directly to your table saw, which will be close by. The other hose is a long 4" flex hose with a handle that will reach every corner of your shop. When you pull out a machine from the wall to use it, just attach the hose. This is amazingly convenient and much cheaper than running duct work all over the shop.

Last thought: It only costs 85% more to go first class. If you want it, buy it. You'll be glad you did one year after you have been using your shop.
On your last idea, I've heard magport connections would help make that a breeze. A little pricey though!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
They delivered the trusses yesterday and the rest of the lumber was to be delivered today. They decided to hold off given the hurricane.... which was fine with me.

Meeting with the electrician tomorrow to discuss things.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've made a few changes to the layout of the building... Moved the doors and windows among others.

Still not sure how I'm gonna lay it out inside. I've used the griz planner and still thinking.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS