New shop suggestions

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm having a 24x36 shop built in the back yard. Hopefully the old one will be demolished next week and construction start soon after.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions that might be useful.

djyoungcity

djyoungcity
User
Plan tool placement and electrical placement ahead. Run some conduit in the walls for easy access while building. Think about running conduit to a couple places in the concrete slab for middle of the shop power

tvrgeek

tvrgeek
User
I wish I had run a trough, about 10 x 10, across the center of my shop so my DC and power snake could come up from the bottom.

I did a split system HVAC. Gad what an improvement. I did have to enclose it in a MERV 13 filter box to keep the fines out of it.

You can't have enough light. Put in too much. Then make provisions for a pull chain light over each workspace.

I divided mine in half, wood on one side, my car and metal on the other. Put the compressor and DC over on the car side ( stacked) to reduce noise in the wood side.

I reinforced the ceiling over the bay door to hang a recessed electric hoist so I can pick up heavy stuff in and out of a truck.

tvrgeek

tvrgeek
User
Of course, dreaming, I would have a half bath, but one does occasionally have to make compromises.

Pop Golden

Pop
Corporate Member
BIGGER! BIGGER! BIGGER! No shop is large enough as time marches on. djyoungcity's ideas are good. I would add 220 VAC a couple of places, and some though on insulation, heating, cooling. Tvrgeek's ideas on lighting are also on the money.

Pop

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I did a 26 x 42 shop and it isn't big enough, been cleaning out stuff to find the floor. Go as big as you can afford. I also would suggest a wood floor with a crawl space, you can access dust collection and run wiring under there that develops as you figure out where stuff really will go. Plans for tool placement are good up to the first one going inside in my experience. If you're going to do it, make it as user friendly to you as you can.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I wish I could go bigger. $$$$ ain't the problem.... space is. I live on a golf course and the CEO doesn't want to give up any more of the view than necessary.

I was going to do 36x36 but with the required setback that footprint was causing friction. My current building was built on the property line... I mean right on the line. I didn't want to spend the money to repair and expand given its location.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I put dust collection (4" PVC) pipes under the concrete stubbed up where my equipment called for it based on my shop layout. Think about that before you pour the floor. If you decide you don't want them there, then run overhead.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Visit Charlie ( the Charlie that does segmented turnings) and see the cleanest and probably one of the most well organized shops around.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
While you're working with electrical, I'd install a Level 2 charger for an electric vehicle (many good models for $500 or less, and the cheapest is ~$200: it'll be great for your next car, or visitors, much cheaper to install with initial construction. Our family has 2 EV's, I'm waiting for the ugly Cybertruck, and I'd never buy another gas-burner...

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
I wish I could go bigger. $$$$ ain't the problem.... space is. I live on a golf course and the CEO doesn't want to give up any more of the view than necessary.

I was going to do 36x36 but with the required setback that footprint was causing friction. My current building was built on the property line... I mean right on the line. I didn't want to spend the money to repair and expand given its location.
How big is your current shop that's right on the property line with no setbacks? I've never seen any furniture that you've built but I have seen your guitars in progress.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
It's all to pieces... I've only used it for storage and kept my mower and both my golf carts in it.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I've been working out of my 1.5 car garage. My power equipment is there and my hand tools are in the house. I'm keeping my hand tool shop in the house and moving the power to the new shop.

appalachia

Greg
User
Planning out a shop layout will only go so far, so focus more on planning out your power, dust, etc. lines/access points to be as flexible as possible for future rearranging.

It’s definitely super nice to separate the dust collector and compressor into a separate noisy-room with heavy walls (filled with sand or the like) between it and the work-room; the key to reducing dBs in close proximity is mass. Also, ideally there wouldn’t be a door between the two rooms, but just exterior doors that are on opposite sides of the building.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
I did spray insulation on mine and a mini-split HVAC. T&G plywood walls mean you can hang and re-hang wherever you want. I have an open peaked ceiling so I hung a really big fan as well.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS