New shop started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have finally outgrown my current mechanics, wood and general storage shop. I will retain this current shop (520 sqft) for mechanics and wood storage.
My new shop will be reserved for woodworking.
Here are the specs:
Size: 24 x 28 main room with 8 x 23 wing for 856 sqft
Foundation: full block/brick to match house
Floor system: 2x8 16"oc spanning less than 8' with 1" Advantec flooring
Walls: 9' or 10' 2x4 with osb 7/16 sheathing, brick veneer in front and Hardie on other 3 sides
Roof: Vaulted with 2x6 16"oc rafters, 3 1/2" x 18" x 24' lvl ridge beam and 5/8 osb sheathing
Windows: seven Pella double-hung and probably two Velux skylights
Entrance: double 3/0 x 7/0 steel door with ramp down to sidewalk
Interior walls: 5/8 fire-code drywall
Ceiling: Vaulted drywall up to 13' acoustical level center section allowing easy access above
Insulation: floor r19, walls r15, ceiling r33
Electrical: 200 amp subpanel fed from house main
Heating/cooling: spare 3 ton 12 seer Carrier heat pump
Lighting: T5 HO dimmable at 13' level, track lighting on vaulted sections
Compressed air: 60 gal 2 cyl Energair in attached shed with IR aluminum tubing distribution
Dust collection: Underfloor 6" ducts probably powered by Clearvue cyclone with temp sensing venting. One retractable overhead duct for tablesaw
Finishing room: 8 x 8 "clean room" in the 8 x 23 wing
Crawl space: double 3/0 x 6/0 doors, 20 mil poly floor, 50 cfm 24/7 vent fan

I have contracted the foundation work. I plan on doing the rest myself, I am hoping to host an equipment moving party in early November.

Here are some startup photos, I will post progress photos.

IMG_02202.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_02172.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_02212.jpg

View image in gallery

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil good luck with the shop. It sounds like it will be very impressive. I know you have been waiting on this a long time. If you want a hand, aka shop raising party, just yell.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Whoohoo! Spec-wise, I think you got everything right, already jealous of the windows & skylights :) +1 on Scott's comment, don't hesitate to holler if you need a hand. Some activities just go better that way.
BTW, there is this guy here on NCWW that regularly posts about free stuff he pulls out of buildings during demolition - cabinets, counter tops, lights etc. What's his name, Bill or something. May come in handy for the new shop :rolf:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Congratulations Phil. :eusa_danc

Let me know when you some help.

Quick question. What are the advantages to having insulation under the floor?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congratulations Phil. :eusa_danc

Let me know when you some help.

Quick question. What are the advantages to having insulation under the floor?

Mark, Thanks for the help offer, I may consider as soon as my 61 yo body reminds me that I have not done this for a quite some time.

The insulation under the floor is an energy conservation requirement - got to keep my inspector happy

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Insulation was not a requirement when I had my shop built. Of course, it is a 'storage building' as far as Johnston county is concerned.

I was just wondering if insulating under the floor would make a difference in terms of heating/cooling costs.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I was just wondering if insulating under the floor would make a difference in terms of heating/cooling costs.[/QUOTE]

yes....

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Phil, Congrats on starting your new shop. Sounds like you have covered all the bases in your specs. Glad to see that you are going with a crawl space for dc piping, electrical, etc. Let me know if I can help in any way.:icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Phil, congrats on starting your new shop! Let me know if/when I can help. Any chance that you can put that DC system in the separate room with the compressor? Sure is nice to get the noise out of the shop...

Mark, floor insulation makes a BIG difference in wintertime...

bwat

New User
Bill
Wow!! Sounds like a GREAT shop and a well planned approach. I look forward to watching your progress, keep us posted. :icon_thum

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The floor joists and beams are installed and inspected. Today we got about 2/3 of the heavy 1' thick flooring down. Tomorrow we will finish the floor and start standing walls. This is heavy work, thankfully Fred Preston has been helping and my neighbor/boss as well. I have all of the material to finish the framing this three day weekend - we will see. I will post photos soon
thanks

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sunday afternoon update. My son and my neighbor/boss helped get the 18" lvl double ridge beam installed. Always interesting when you have to lift a pair of 250 lb beams 14 feet in the air and all you have is a pair of cheap come-alongs that have a warning label that says not for lifting - then what are they for. I promise not to do it again.

Here are the photos

Glad to get that out of the way

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Phil, Looking real nice. It won't be long and you will be moving in equipment.:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS