New Shop Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great progress Mark. A miter saw station is on my list of projects as well. I have a portable one that just doesn't cut it. Plus, a new miter saw station means a new miter saw too.
So, is waiting for a new table saw like being a kid counting down to Christmas? :rolf:

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Great progress Mark. A miter saw station is on my list of projects as well. I have a portable one that just doesn't cut it. Plus, a new miter saw station means a new miter saw too.
So, is waiting for a new table saw like being a kid counting down to Christmas? :rolf:

I guess you didn't bite on that COOL Bosch @ McFeeleys??
Did you ever check to see what the frt would've amounted to?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I guess you didn't bite on that COOL Bosch @ McFeeleys??
Did you ever check to see what the frt would've amounted to?
I think the total came to ~$420. Not bad, but I really want a smaller footprint saw. That means either the Makita LS106L or the yet-to-be-released 10" Bosch glider. Or Tracy's Kapex, if I can talk him into swapping it for my B&D :rolf:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The miter saw cabinets are installed. Not finished yet, but installed. That is, if sitting on the floor is 'installed'.

Next is the four drawers, four doors and wrapping the top in oak trim. Oh yeah. I decided to add doors to the bottoms instead of using them for wood storage. The cabinets are only 24" deep, and I have enough places to stash shorts.

There is a piece of 7/16" hardboard as the top layer on the tops. They are just tacked in place with some 18ga brads. The oak trim will not be glued or nailed to the hardboard so it can be removed and replaced if/when it gets chewed up. The tops are 1-1/2" thick.

Lots of fun getting everything leveled and coplanar. There are four levelers under each cabinet and four more under the floating miter saw platform. The platform is not attached to the cabinets. There are six cross braces attaching the two cabinets together, three at the bottom and three near the top. There are 2 right angle pieces, front and back, under the floating platform that ride against the outside top braces. This keeps the platform from moving front to back.

The miter saw is bolted to the mounting board that came with the DW-730 portable miter stand. The mounting board has four 1-1/8" diameter by 3/4" feet on the bottom. I ripped a 3" wide piece of MDF and drilled two 1-1/8" holes that lined up with the width of the back two feet. Screwed that down to the top of the floating platform. I can now take the saw off the miter saw station and put it right on the portable saw stand. When I put it back on the miter station, everything will line up just like I never took it off.

After I finish up the doors and drawers I will work on the fence extensions. Going to have them piano hinged to the back of the cabinets so I can rotate them out of the way when they are not needed.

Garage-Shop_295.JPG

View image in gallery

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
:eusa_dancThis is just too great, for me at least, to adequately comment.

Wow doesn't seem enough, but..........WOW!! NICE!! :eusa_danc:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:eusa_danc

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The cabinets sure look "installed" to me Mark. Actually, they look great. What is the countdown to the new saw?

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I should be hearing from Grizzly CS today or tomorrow on an estimated delivery date for the saw. The shipment has cleared customs and the containers should be on the way to MO.

In the meantime I have been checking the used market and may have found a Hammer K3 for sale in my price range. Actually, I found two, one is in Connecticut and the other is a demo/floor model in Delaware. I'll be checking on those today. :wsmile:

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Got the oak trim installed around the miter saw cabinet tops. The hardboard I used for the tops was primed and was getting scuffed up if I just walked past, so I decided to put on a couple of coats of paint. Had some exterior semi-gloss left over from painting the front doors, so I used that.

I moved the cabinets out a little and was able to get the PSI 'Big Red' in behind the saw. Will probably build a better hood for it someday, but for now, this works pretty good.

Got the drawers built. Used up some more of the 3/4" oak ply leftover from LOML's bookcases and some 1/4" luan leftover from the storage compartments in LOML's craft/office/storage/guest room. The drawer fronts are from a roll around kitchen cart we gave up on a while ago, some kind of mapleish wood. Check out those classy porcelain drawer pulls.

Hope to get the doors built by the end of the weekend.

Also have to build the fence extensions. That job should be a little easier since I picked up the Kreg Trak & Stop kit. :eusa_danc (stealth gloat)

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Mark, That sure is coming together! Looks GREAT!

Question:
Those huge apparently dust system main tubing (ducts) coming down close to the Top of the Left table next to Miter Saw & forming a "Y"... looks to be like 12" ducting! Are they really that big?

It seems like you were using more like 6" tubes... to me...

Yep... sure is purdy... :)

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, That sure is coming together! Looks GREAT!

Question:
Those huge apparently dust system main tubing (ducts) coming down close to the Top of the Left table next to Miter Saw & forming a "Y"... looks to be like 12" ducting! Are they really that big?

It seems like you were using more like 6" tubes... to me...

Yep... sure is purdy... :)

Thanks again Joe.

The pipes you are seeing are just in the foreground of the picture. Perspective at work. That is the bottom of the 'Christmas tree' set up for the table saw/router/downdraft table, two 6" gates and one 4".

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
How about THAT! :rotflm:

It looked like the one coming straight down was a unique way of keeping that table top CLEAN!

... with 12" tubing, that would have required ONE BIG suction motor!! :rotflm:

Thank you for such a simple explanation! :rotflm:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
This past weekend was spent setting up the new Grizzly.

It's starting to get crowded in the shop again.

Did get a chance to get the miter saw fences built and installed. I got the Kreg Precision Trak & Stop system mounted to some strips of 3/4" oak ply. I decided not to do the hinged fence system, too much work. The fences are just two pieces of ply, pocket screwed and glued at 90 degrees and then screwed down to the cabinet tops. This gives me just over 60" on each side of the blade when using the Kreg stops.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
That saw is SO PRETTY sittin out like that!

Probably taking up close 25% of your floor space...

In my garage, I would have to dedicate half of the space just for IT! Then, Not much left over for anything else. :rotflm:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
That saw is SO PRETTY sittin out like that!

Probably taking up close 25% of your floor space...

In my garage, I would have to dedicate half of the space just for IT! Then, Not much left over for anything else. :rotflm:

You are right about that Joe. It does take up some room. But it forces me to leave some areas of open space so I can actually walk around in the shop without bumping into stuff.:gar-La;

RedTweeder00

New User
Robby
Holy Smokes Mark!!!! I need to come down there and buy some more of your tools to keep this party going!!!

GREAT LOOKING SAW!!!!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Holy Smokes Mark!!!! I need to come down there and buy some more of your tools to keep this party going!!!

GREAT LOOKING SAW!!!!

Thanks Rob. How is the 1023 working out for you?

Now that you mention it, I will be getting rid of some tools 'real soon now'. All of the jigs and fixtures and accessories that run in standard sized miter slots will no longer work on this saw. I either have to figure out a way to retrofit them to the t-slots on the new saw or sell them off.

Keep watching the classifieds. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS