New Shop Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Have to wait for ANOTHER inspector (hopefully) tomorrow, so the plan is to start on the deck. The deck will be at the same level as the screen porch. We decided to go bigger than we originally planned (YEAH, less mowing for me).

There will be a 28' x 16' foot section off the back of the house, 4' longer and wider than the concrete patio:

Garage-Shop_031.JPG

View image in gallery

And a second section along the length of the new building. This part will be about 14' x 14'. The stair to the second floor will start at the back corner of this deck.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mark: here is a link to some pics I took today of the underfloor DC & Electrical. They're all from inside the shop. I just didn't have it in me to crawl underneath today. :no: I wrote a brief description for each pic to help identify what you're looking at. Let me know if something doesn't make sense and I'll try to clarify.

Take a look at the duct work hanging from the ceiling using 1x2 furring strips and 50" plastic zip ties. I came across this trick in one of the magazines when I was researching my system, and it was extremely helpful. I installed the duct work by myself, so the zip ties were like an extra pair of hands. Cut a slight notch in the furring strips about every two feet. Then fasten the furring strips to the ceiling. Run a 50" zip tie through the notch and connect the two ends, but do not tighten. Once you've assembled a long piece of duct work, just slip it through the open loops. Or you can slip sections of duct into the loops and connect them, using the ties as a cradle to hold the work. When you're ready to close up the final assembly, gradually start tightening the zip ties across the length of the duct, pulling the duct up snug to the ceiling. If you're working alone, this really helps.

For the electrical, I assume you are planning a separate service panel for the shop? I went w/ a 200a box w/ 40 spaces. It cost a little extra, but it's worth it to have room for all the current circuits, plus anything I may want to add in the future. I didn't feel like I had to cram too many tools on each circuit, running the risk of overloading them. Just a thought.

Another electrical thought (I'm just full of them :gar-La;): If you know exactly where your service panel will be located, you may want to run a 2" piece of electrical conduit through the floor and into the crawl space. This will make it easier to run lines underfloor later. I didn't think about this until it was too late. :widea:

I hope some of this helps.

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Excellent information, Bill. Thanks.

The twist tie trick will come in real handy, since I will probably be hanging the DC pipe by myself.

Had already thought about running a pipe under the floor for any future electrical needs. Seems like it would be easier to fish wires through a pipe than to have to crawl under the floor.

Thanks also for the pictures, Lot's of good ideas there. :)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow, it's looking great, Mark. I'm getting excited, and it's not even my shop. :rotflm:I just love the building process. I like the way you're working the deck around the tree: very nice setting. Will the entrance to the shop be from the deck? Or from the driveway? Either way, looks good! :icon_thum:icon_thum

Bill

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Dang, late to the party, but what a great shop in the works!

Thanks for sharing!

I noticed it hasn't come up yet. Where in this new deck/shop do you plan for your Black & Tans?

Jim

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Wow, it's looking great, Mark. I'm getting excited, and it's not even my shop. :rotflm:I just love the building process. I like the way you're working the deck around the tree: very nice setting. Will the entrance to the shop be from the deck? Or from the driveway? Either way, looks good! :icon_thum:icon_thum

Bill

The shop will have double doors on the front side, facing towards the front of the house, and a standard door on the side where the deck is. The stairs to the second floor will be on the back of the building, ending on the deck.

The double doors in the front should be right around tailgate height for my truck.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Dang, late to the party, but what a great shop in the works!

Thanks for sharing!

I noticed it hasn't come up yet. Where in this new deck/shop do you plan for your Black & Tans?

Jim

Probably going to move the wine fridge out there somewhere. :gar-Bi

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Lookin' better every day, Mark. Looks like your ceiling height will be higher than the standard 8', but I can't tell if it's 9' or 10'. Either way, that's good.

I see the double doors you referred to, behind the red trailer. Hope they make the stairs/platform wide enough to back your truck right up to the doors. :gar-Bi

Keep posting those pics: I'm enjoying watching your shop go up. :icon_thum Makes me want to build an addition onto mine. :nah:

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Lookin' better every day, Mark. Looks like your ceiling height will be higher than the standard 8', but I can't tell if it's 9' or 10'. Either way, that's good.

I see the double doors you referred to, behind the red trailer. Hope they make the stairs/platform wide enough to back your truck right up to the doors. :gar-Bi

Keep posting those pics: I'm enjoying watching your shop go up. :icon_thum Makes me want to build an addition onto mine. :nah:

Bill

Ceiling height is going to be 9', should be plenty of room to hang the air cleaner and DC pipe.

Not planning to have any stairs or platform in front of the doors, at least not yet. Want to be able to back the truck right up to the doors. From the ground to floor is just short of 40", my tailgate height is just over 36". Should work out pretty well. We may add a small platform if front of the doors down the road.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Are you using attic trusses for the roof? Looks awesome. I want one!

Yes, attic trusses for the roof. We should end up with about 300 square feet upstairs.

Picked up 2 Fridgidaire heat and air units from Lowes yesterday so they can frame them in to the walls as they go.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Yep, holidays over, everybody back to work. :thumbs_up It's really starting to take shape now. I can visualize the steps going up to the attic on the back side. Is that triangle section at the roof peak over the double doors strong enough to support a hoist? Might be nice in case you ever have to lift something heavy out of your truck.

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Yep, holidays over, everybody back to work. :thumbs_up It's really starting to take shape now. I can visualize the steps going up to the attic on the back side. Is that triangle section at the roof peak over the double doors strong enough to support a hoist? Might be nice in case you ever have to lift something heavy out of your truck.

Bill

Oooh! A hoist sounds like a great idea. I'll have to check into that.

Man, it was HOT out today. I am surprised that the guys got anything done in this heat. But they did. Although 2 of the guys had other things to work on (golf, probably), so only one was working after lunch.

But, they got the rest of the roof decking in place, finished off most of the wall sheathing and got a real good start on the house wrap.

I got some interior shots. The first one is upstairs. There aren't any stairs yet, so I just climbed up the step ladder and took the shot. Looks beefy. :gar-Bi

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Wow! That second story is high!

I can see a board sticking out at the top for a hoist of an ole barn... for hay, etc.
... but yours could be used for wood, equipment, etc.

How you going to get stuff up there anyways? Elevator? :)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Man, that's looking good, Mark. It'll be interesting to look back at these pics in a few years, after you've loaded it up w/ tools and "stuff". You'll wonder, "what happened to that big empty space I started w/." I sat down in my shop today to take a break and was looking around, wondering, how, and when, did I move all that stuff in here. :gar-La; Sure hope I never have to move it out.

Keep the pics coming! :icon_thum

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS