New Shop Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Still looking good, Mark. That triangular addition to the deck looks like the perfect place for the grill. :eusa_danc

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The electricians got the meter base and breaker panel installed and all electric roughed in. Waiting on yet another inspection.

Had to jump through some more hoops to get electric service. Progress Electric wanted to run the power in from a transformer in front of the house, which would have required going under the driveway, at a cost of $700 to $900. :eek: After a few phone calls, and getting permission from my neighbor, we were able to get PE to agree to run the power in from the pole in the backyard. Cost for that will be around $170, and maybe some minor landscaping when they are done.

We also have to add some signs to the 2 meter bases, one on the building and one on the house, so the fire department will know there are 2 separate power feeds.

Garage-Shop_100.JPG

View image in gallery

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Are you going to add any bracing for ceiling fans.
Tony

We are putting one ceiling fan in upstairs. Don't have any plans for ceiling fans in the shop. I do have a JDS air cleaner which is always on when I am in the shop. That should be enough to keep the air circulating. If not, I will probably just use a floor fan.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
We are putting one ceiling fan in upstairs. Don't have any plans for ceiling fans in the shop. I do have a JDS air cleaner which is always on when I am in the shop. That should be enough to keep the air circulating. If not, I will probably just use a floor fan.

WoooHooo, electrical!!! Can't be long now. Are you getting anxious? :gar-La;

Regarding ceiling fans, I find that air blowing across the shop really helps, especially on these hot days when the A/C just can't keep up. I dont' have a traditional ceiling fan because I didn't plan for it in advance, but here's what I did as an afterthought. My version of a ceiling fan. It ain't pretty, but it sure helps keep me cool in there.:eusa_danc Just a standard floor fan from Wally World, mounted upside down from the ceiling.

I had to fish a wire down from the attic, then rig a pull switch w/ a drop down string to turn it on and off. (This pic was taken before I wired it through the attic.) Would have been much easier if I'd thought about it during the wiring stage, where you are now.

Bill

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
WoooHooo, electrical!!! Can't be long now. Are you getting anxious? :gar-La;

Regarding ceiling fans, I find that air blowing across the shop really helps, especially on these hot days when the A/C just can't keep up. I dont' have a traditional ceiling fan because I didn't plan for it in advance, but here's what I did as an afterthought. My version of a ceiling fan. It ain't pretty, but it sure helps keep me cool in there.:eusa_danc Just a standard floor fan from Wally World, mounted upside down from the ceiling.

I had to fish a wire down from the attic, then rig a pull switch w/ a drop down string to turn it on and off. (This pic was taken before I wired it through the attic.) Would have been much easier if I'd thought about it during the wiring stage, where you are now.

Bill

Nice job on the 'ceiling fan'. :gar-La;

In addition to the 15 amp lighting circuit, I did have one 20 amp circuit run up to the center of the ceiling. The air cleaner will plug into that 20 amp circuit, but that should leave plenty of power if I want to install one or two ceiling fans at some point.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The shop looks great Mark, I have the opposite problem from you though in that I have the seperate shop and am looking to add a two car garage. Might I ask who your builders are since they work in Johnston County and seem to be doing a real nice job ?

Thanks,
Jimmy

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The shop looks great Mark, I have the opposite problem from you though in that I have the seperate shop and am looking to add a two car garage. Might I ask who your builders are since they work in Johnston County and seem to be doing a real nice job ?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Hey Jimmy.

The builder's name is Wayne Cuddington. He built (and is building) this whole neighborhood as Hog Heaven Homes.

http://www.buyahogheavenhome.com/

Send me a pm and we can discuss further.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks Mark,

I will get in conact when I'm closer to getting it done, right now it's not in my immediate future.

Jimmy

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Should be able to get some pictures tomorrow.

Drywall for the upstairs got delivered on Friday. The upstairs door got installed this morning.

Both HVAC units are now installed. The baffles for roof ventilation are in, although some got taken out during yesterdays storm.

Inspector came today and signed off on the electric rough in and interior. The electric company showed up around 11:00 am and started digging. They finished up by about 3:00. As soon as the final inspection is done, they can put on the meter and power me up.

Insulation and siding should be installed by Friday. Then the electricians can finish up with outlets, switches, lights, etc.

Should have some OSB and 2x6's delivered tomorrow or Friday so I can start building and installing boxes in the knee walls upstairs for storage. Once I get those done, the drywall can be installed.

Still have to decide if I want to take the time to install the osb on the shop walls/ceiling, or have the contractors guys do it. It would take me at least a couple of weekends, but they could probably knock it out in a day. Getting anxious to get this done so I can start moving stuff in.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I looked at the last batch of pictures I posted, and, other than a stack of wall board sitting on the floor upstairs, nothing else has really changed.

Now tomorrow, the insulation and siding are supposed to be installed. If that happens as scheduled, I will get some pictures posted over the weekend.

Stay tuned. :wsmile:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Insulation got installed yesterday. No siding yet. The siding guys have been running around doing repairs after those severe thunderstorms. Two houses in our neighborhood had some siding and trim blown off.

Upstairs:

Here is the stack of wallboard:

Downstairs in the shop:

We noticed after the insulation crew was gone that they didn't insulate the ceiling of the shop. We wanted insulation between the floors to keep the shop heating/cooling in the shop. Also to quiet down some of the noise. The second floor will not be used as much, so why pay for heating and cooling up there when not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS