New Shop - Build Pictures

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
The new shop is going up. I got lots of great suggestions here on what to do/not to do and it's been so helpful. It's 600 sqft/30' x 20'. Largest the HOA would let me build, but I think it will be OK. We also added onto our driveway to make it a little wider.
I do have 10' ceilings though. I have an 18000BTU Mini split. I added a back door because I have lots of room behind the shop and I'm planning on making an area back there for cutting large sheets and for lathe work. The lathe is on wheels and will be placed next to that door so I can wheel it right out. I'm having it insulated and a drywall ceiling put in. I will be putting up OSB walls myself.
I very much wanted wood floors, but I have run out of money and it's not going to happen. Trying not to be upset about it, I feel lucky I'm getting the shop!
My electric has been a real hassle! I had a 125AMP box put in and lots of outlets on the walls and a few on the ceiling. When the electrician looked at my house breaker box, he told me I did not have enough room left to run the line to the shop ( I confirmed this with Duke Energy). So I'm having to have a new Meter setup installed with a separate bill. If I had known I was going to have to do this, I would have installed a 200 AMP box in the shop!
enough talking...pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_8610.JPG
    IMG_8610.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_9485.JPG
    IMG_9485.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 283
  • IMG_9735.JPG
    IMG_9735.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_7531.JPG
    IMG_7531.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 286

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
One thing you might consider is putting in a couple Sola-Tubes for daylight. They work in our house for the pantry and bathroom. On a sunny day, it's like you have a 100w bulb in the ceiling. Unlike sky-lights, they don't leak.

Roy G

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
What I don't see is 10 gauge wire at the panel. You may want some 240v in the future. You may want to upgrade your table saw or compressor or add a shaper one day and these might need more amperage.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
On another note it wouldn't be too hard to change the panel to a 200 amp now. Much harder later. You're going to be adding a meter base anyway.

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
If you are going to have a mini split unit you will need a 30 amp breaker. I would go to a 200 amp service with a lot of extra circuits. You are going to need them. I had a separate service run to my shop with its own meter. Glad I did.

karlkoch

New User
Karl
One thing you might consider is putting in a couple Sola-Tubes for daylight. They work in our house for the pantry and bathroom. On a sunny day, it's like you have a 100w bulb in the ceiling. Unlike sky-lights, they don't leak.

Roy G
I can second this advice. I used solatubes throughout my home and shop. I frequently don't need to turn on lights in storage areas etc. that normally would be dark.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
Envious of the shop. Not of the HOA. Hardest part about house hunting for me is in the area I'm looking every time I find a house I like it's in a HOA. So I'm switching gears, instead of house hunting I'm land hunting and going to go with an off-frame modular.

For lighting, to save space with 10'ceilings, flush mount LED "Can" lights actually do a great job. I put them in my office and very happy with the results

lastgoodusername

New User
lastgoodusername
Congratulations on the new shop. You will really enjoy the 10 ft. ceilings. Don't rush anything. Do it the way you want even if it takes a little more time. You will enjoy it more and won't have the second guessing that will nag you later. Oh one last thing, insulation, insulation, insulation. Too much is just the right amount.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have 100 AMP service in my shop and it has been fine. Even with a 220v table saw, band saw, jointer, dust collector and heater. They are all 30 amp breakers. All my 110v outlets are 20 amp. I made sure that no two 110 outlets in a row were on the same breaker. Uses more wire. Even the breaker for the lights are 20 amp. Remember there is no such thing as too many outlets.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I am surprised they couldn't take power from the input to you main breaker box. Most houses have plenty of power going in, i.e often 400 amps, from the meter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS