New Shop - 2 Car Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
that table and maybe a little bigger is about as big as it gets - no kitchens etc for me. I don't mind about saving time, but would like a more predictable quality finish with only WB because I can't go to the expense/ room for a proper spray area.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The Walcom gun sprays about a 7" wide fan so it is fine most things you would get into. It might take a few more passes, but I sprayed my king size bed with it and it did a great job. If you call Jeff Jewitt at homestead, he'll help guide you. He's a great guy for world famous author.:lol:

W

woodchuck

What you're looking for is called an "aqua-hut". It's a prefabricated enclosure for gas water heaters for the outside of the house. It's insulated to conserve energy and is ventilated just enough for your combustion air. Problem: it's not pretty. It's a powder coated metal box so.....if asthetics are an issue, consider proper ventilation. Problem#2: if you install an exhaust fan, you create negative pressure in the space and draw air back through the water heater vent. Not a good thing, especially while the heater is firing.
My favorite option. Fully enclose and isolate the water heater from the garage. If you have a "direct vent" water heater. you're done. If you have a traditional vent type heater, you'll need to cut a vent through the outside wall to allow combustion air into the space. A "direct vent" heater is vented through the wall with a double wall pipe system which draws the combustion air through the outer pipe and exhausts through the inner. A traditional vent goes through the roof.
Feel free to call me at work if you have any questions.
Chuck @ Basic Plumbing in Garner, NC 919-662-7110

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Thanks for the information chuck. I think I have just decided to deal with spraying water based applications....and anything flamable I will wipe well away from the heater with ventilation. The chances of them reaching a dangerous limit are slim to none. I can't locate it on the outside due to homeowners crap! I may look into the other option though.

MarkW

New User
Mark
I have this issue also. But code here requires water heaters in garages to be a minimum of 18" off the floor. With my garage door opened a few inches I have never had an issue and I tend to spray solvent based finishes. My water heater is in a small room with a louvered door separating it from my shop area.

That's not to say that it would not be a problem for you though.

woodbutcher

New User
Kevin
I've also worked in shops that used gas and wood for heat. There are a lot of fire hazards in any shop or garage for that matter. Use some good common sence and be mindful of the hazards, don't just dwell on one. Use good ventilation. Todays gas water heaters are designed to minimize the explosion hazard. One thing they do is raise them off the floor where vapors accumulate. Call your local gas company and discuss your concerns.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I just posted this in another forum and am copying it to prevent my arthritus in my fingers from kicking in (not to mention my lack of typing skills!!), but I think its germain to the subject:

A "touch-up" gravity feed HVLP of reasonable quality will only run about $50, and will run off a small compressor. The advantage of the Touch-up size is that it is more maneuverable for spraying inside areas and can be adjusted to a finer spray pattern. (Don't confuse Touch-up gun with air brush, they are not the same).
There are a lot of safety considerations to spraying. Atomizing a flammable substance greatly increases the potential for disaster. Pilot lights on water heaters,etc, the spark from a freezer in the garage, etc all may cause a bad end to everyone's in the neighborhood day. Although ventilation is a must, the commom electrical fan with open brushes on the motor will provide a very lively ignition source. Even some of the "water clean-up" coatings have alcohol (flammable) based solvents. (Check the label on the can) The overspray build-up also can be very flammable.
eek.gif

And even of they aren't flammable, coating fumes can cause both short and long term damage to your internal organs. The first prerequisite is an organic vapor respirator (a dusk mask won't protect you from the fumes). The filter should have NIOSH marked on it and say it protects from OV. Also, realize the blood vessels in your eyes will absorb 10 times more toxic substances than your skin, so the more you can keep the paint particles way from your eyes (safety goggles help because full-face respirators are pretty expensive!) the better off you will be.

I'm not trying to sound preachy, but I've been spraying coatings for over 30 years, and I personally won't crank up a spray gun in my garage or any other room attached to my home. I don't consider the benefits worth the risk to my family's safety. If you spray outside or in a detached workshop, please be careful. And practice on scrap first, until you get the trigger discipline down (start spray gun moving, depress trigger, spray while continuing steady movement and holding gun perpendicular to the surface, let up on trigger, stop spray gun movement). It will result in a lot less runs and better coverage. You can practice with a spray can to get the basic feel for it.
Good luck
smile.gif

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors