New Search Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
People have been asking me to add search capability to my site for years. Recently Google indexed my site and sent me a report showing 960-some pages (!) which pushed me over the edge. I now have a Site Search box at the bottom of every page.
I'd like to get some feedback on how it works so when you have a chance, give it a whirl.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The bottom is a tough location for a search. The internet standard has almost run the search to the top, or top-right of the page. At first I didn't read in the post that it was at the bottom ... went there, found nothing. Had to come back to this post to read it again. The search is a bit hidden IMHO.

The good is that it works ... Google does a great job. It's nearly a requirement to have search in 2009.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I don't have a good spot to put a search box at the top of the page layout though I do have a Site Search link in the header on all pages that will take you to a special search page. So far most of my viewers that have written like having the search at the end of the articles/stories where they can find additional information.
So far it is fast and efficient at finding mateiral for all of the veiwers who have rsponded. I am liking that!

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Hi Tom. Just checked out your search feature and it works well. The only issue I could think of would be that your viewers may not all get it at first (i.e., how to use search) even though you have put out pretty good and useful alerts and information that should help. Probably will just take some time for all users to catch up but overall you done good.

Glennbear

Glenn
The search box is a good addition to an already great site. IMHO Google is one of the better providers , I have visited other sites where there was no search provided or powered by an inferior engine. In both cases I was a tad frustrated :nah:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Tom,

I did a couple of searches and the site search works well!

I agree about the location of the search window, however. Couldn't you squeeze it in up there right under "About Us, Contact Us, FAQ" Or maybe remove "NewWoodworkerdotcom" from "Gear Store" and "YouTube", remove "site seach" and rearrange things so the search window will fit up there?

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
OK! I moved the search box to the top of the page! (Actually, I think you guys are right. I just gotta act indignant for a little while.....)
That move turned out to be a bit more labor intensive than I thought. Started at around midnight and the last segment of the site (Reviews and others aare actually sites within the site) is loading right now but everything else is updated.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
You actually don't need Google's permission to use it to search your site. Just put a form with input box and search button like so:

HTML:
<form method="GET" action="http://www.google.com/search">
	<input type="hidden" name="sitesearch" value="www.mysite.com">
	<input type="submit" name="btnG" value="Find">
	<input type="text" name="q" maxlength="255" value="">
</form>

Replace "www.mysite.com" above with your url and you are good to go!

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I have a friend at Google who is tweaking things for me on their end as part of a project they are doing to speed site search stuff up and revamp how the sites are indexed. So far it screams so I am happy to let them drop a logo on the return pages. He said it will get faster as they tweak this deal also. I'm not sure how much faster it can get but I guess we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS