New router table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I used to have a router table mounted in my table saw, which worked great (except for dust collection...):
Router_Table_Front.JPG

View image in gallery

After upgrading my saw, I was routertableless (a very serious affliction worsened by advanced cases of WGD). It was time to build a new one. I wanted a NYW type of setup that could also double as an extension table for my saw, and I found the plans for the Ultimate Router Table helpful. It also meant I'd FINALLY be able to start using the Woodpecker router lift I won in an NCWW raffle. That would be the Fall raffle. Of 2010. Yes, it's been more than two years. :embaresse

Here's a shot of the carcass. I still had small pieces of prefinished ply over from the cabinets I built, this seemed like a good project to use it up. Face frame and drawer fronts are the last of the QSWO (well, I have one 6/4 board left, but I'm not cutting that one up for shop furniture). Scott - I may be headed your way before too long to replenish.

The plans used inset drawers, which I had not done before. Not too difficult, a block plane does wonders for the fit. But inset drawers for the bit drawers was not as successful. Because of the side to side play there's no point in fine tuning the reveal. Unless you carefully close and adjust the drawer each time, it looks a bit drunk and disorderly. I'm OK with that
The drawer slides came from a 2099 NCWW deal, courtesy of zapdafish. First project where I used them :) If I keep hoarding like this I will die with enough material for three woodworkers :gar-La;

The top right compartment is where all the power cords run. I made a false front that's attached with roller catches. This worked really well.

Here is the final table all finished up. I used the same hardware as I used for the shop cabinets. That's one hoard that is finally shrinking, I'm down to 10 knobs or so.
The door panel is a piece of Lexan, from another NCWW deal. I was going to use Euro hinges for the door, but it was a little tricky with the narrow rails, and I thought dust would accumulate in them as well. I had these brass hinges lying around (more hoarding - I have a a box full of brass hardware), and mounted this way it opens 180 degrees.

Side view:

One minor quibble: The only way to mount the router in the lift is as shown below. Unfortunately, that means the router speed control is not visible! A little annoying, clearly this was a design mistake. I think I'll mount a small mirror so I can see the dial.

It's not 100% done yet. I need to build a dust port for the fence, change some of the dust collection piping and hose, maybe run a new outlet so I don't need an extension cord. I also forgot that since I'm butting the router table against the table saw, I can't slide the fence of the back. So I need to slightly extend the fence T-track channel so I can remove it from there. Oh, and shim the mobile base to get everything flush. And put all the bits in the drawers. Are shop projects ever really done?

toolferone

New User
Tom
Nice write up and really nice table. As far as seeing the speed control, I just go by sound.
I was wondering about the time machine you built to get the drawer guides in 2099 :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
A classic Bas!

Well done. I am sure it will serve you well.

Thanks for sharing all of the detail.

Wayne

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Very nice Bas that's a fine router table you have there! You inspire me :icon_cheers

Touchwood

New User
Don
Bas...great job. I've been thinking about a better dust collection system than the one I have...your design gives me a good idea how I'll do it.
Thanks for posting all the details:eusa_danc
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS