New project- like i needed one more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am sliding down a slippery slope again. With a half a dozen projects in the works, I just needed something new.

Smallboat does not even know how much he influenced this - his post on boat frame construction got me thinking.

I just ordered the plans and the supplies for a skin on frame kayak. Here is the link: http://gaboats.com/boats/robroy14.html

I must get my steam box back out of storage

If I can get this figured out quickly, this might make a demo at the Raleigh Showcase or at the WIA

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Ha! You'll have a blast.
Did you get the kit with epoxy, kevlar and fabric or just the plans?

I passed on their epoxy and used WEST System, theirs is very high viscosity and needs to be warmed before use.
I stuck with the familiar.

Also, I think they overstate the simplicity of the strongback.
I like the approach shown in Thomas J. Hill's Ultralight Boatbuilding.
I also stole his detail for the breasthooks, it just looks right.

If you can use some of the stainless hairpin clamps, I have a bunch and will be happy to loan them.
Same with the Hill book.

Any questions, you know where to find me.

Can't wait to see your progress.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Phil,
Since Steve is the expert and you are in the learning process - I say we (beg, wheedle, needle) and effectively guilt him into a "Train the trainer" at The Showcase and or WIA?!?!:eusa_thin

What do you say Steve?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Be careful what you ask for!

Pretty sure the WWIA is a non starter with my schedule.
What are the dates for the Showcase?
I'm not familiar with that event.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil,
I planted the hook - you reeeeeel him in (get the boat metaphor?):rotflm:

Steve - the Showcase is September 6th, I wish I could be there - but I am using all my powers, chits, good deeds etc. for WIA!

I hope you can make it - and it will make for GREAT conversation and a teaching environment.
I know at the Hickory event - there were lots of discussions, but when someone was showing someone else how to do something - all the chit-chat stopped and people really seemed to listen, it was really cool!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ha! You'll have a blast.
Did you get the kit with epoxy, kevlar and fabric or just the plans?

I passed on their epoxy and used WEST System, theirs is very high viscosity and needs to be warmed before use.
I stuck with the familiar.

Also, I think they overstate the simplicity of the strongback.
I like the approach shown in Thomas J. Hill's Ultralight Boatbuilding.
I also stole his detail for the breasthooks, it just looks right.

If you can use some of the stainless hairpin clamps, I have a bunch and will be happy to loan them.
Same with the Hill book.

Any questions, you know where to find me.

Can't wait to see your progress.

I went ahead and got everything. I am more familiar with System 3 epoxy but decided to give theirs a try. I would like to borrow the Hill book. I bought 50 of the pin clamps, but more would be better I assume.

The NC Woodworking Showcase is on Sept 6 at the Klingspor store in Raleigh. NCWW typically does a two or three demos in the morning and early afternoon to a fairly small audience. About 3 years ago I did a demo on strip building a canoe and they have asked me to do another. I wanted to give the SOF style construction a try so hopefully I will be far enough along to show some folks.

The much larger audience and time frame is both the WIA in Ws and the Klingspor Extravanganza in Hickory in mid October. If you could help us in Hickory that would be great.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'm sure System 3 will be great as well.
Just didn't like the heavy paste stuff that came w/ the kit.

I'll try to plan around Hickory too.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I also got the bug again recently. I am starting this one:
http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/WV13_study.htm?prod=WV13

with plans to make it end up more like this:
evolution430-small-568x155.jpg
Not as big a change as it may first appear; I will sculpt the seat from styro and glass over it instead of making the optional raised sole in the plans (and I did buy the full set of plans from Bateau).

I have the Hill book SmallBoat referenced if you want to borrow it.

The bug seems to be going around; a couple of fishing buddies are also starting builds. One making a canoe and another making a larger kayak similar to the one I am starting.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
We need to learn from the old time fishermen I worked around in the dark ages.
They would build and repair in the winter and heat the shop with cut offs and scraps.
When the weather turned (meaning less snow and ice) they'd be out on the water.
Those guys had to make hay whether the sun was shining or not.

Of course these projects have the potential to go a little quicker given the modern materials and processes.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My build is actually quite likely to last into the winter. I will get wood for the hull late this month and hope to get the hull assembled unsheathed and the seat sculpted this summer. Deck and frames in the fall and the cloth, epoxy and fittings could be under the tree. It would be a lot easier to do lamination in the summer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS