Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
There is a bug in the New Posts link that apparently ignores threads to which the user has posted. For example, right now I'm trying to find this thread posted to as of 8:34pm last night. But it is not shown in the New Posts list (for me). This happens for all my threads, perhaps there is a setting somewhere that I accidentally checked ages ago that caused this? If not, it sure is frustrating to not be able to quickly go through the threads and find one I have just posted to!

M

McRabbet

Steve,

If you are looking for a thread with a new post that you just made from the index using the "Goto New Post" icon, it won't find it because it is no longer a new post -- it is marked as a post that you have already read. If someone else has posted to the thread since you posted there, then clicking the icon on the thread will take you to their post. If yours was the preceding one, you can scroll up to see it if it is one the same page.

HTH...

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Rats, sorry to reply to self but it appears I've already pestered the excellent admins about this one before.

The wording "New Posts" confuses me, it implies all new posts (irrelevant of the user having read it). Maybe "New Unread Threads" is more accurate (since nobody really reads individual posts anyway).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve the New Posts listing gives you all the unread (by you) posts to all active threads. There very well be a thread that you have read that has had some additional posts added to it that might be of value to you. I still read every post on this site, daily.
On the New Post list there is another set of icons that can provide you with information about the thread. On the left side of the list are envelopes of various colors. A blue unopened envelope is an unread thread. An opened one has been read by you. When the envelope turns reddish it's indicating a hot topic with more than 10 replies. A opened envelope with an arrow means you've replied to that thread, and Finally one with a lock means the thread has been closed to future posting.

Those might help you to determine the status of a thread.

Dave:)

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
DaveO, you have me thinking. I usually browse the latests threads (threads with the most recent action), but it sounds like you just read individual posts via "New Posts". Hmm, maybe I need to change my start page...

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Actually, I think Steve has point. The new posts Link probably should be "Unread Posts" and that would be a trivial change. But I shudder to think of the confusion it would cause:swoon::swoon: with all the member that use the "New Posts" function.:rotflm:

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
SteveColes, agree with "Unread Posts", maybe "New Posts Unread" or "New Unread Posts" to smooth the transition?

*gets out the Starrett rule*

Still, it really isn't listing individual posts, just the last post of select <i>threads</i>. To be excruciatingly accurate here "Threads With Unread Posts", "Threads With Posts Since Last Being Read", or "Last Post of Threads Unread Since Previous Visit (formerly known as New Posts)". :)

Sorry, up until this point the results of New Posts led to a page of results that I couldn't understand. But DaveO's reply above makes me wonder if regular members usually start there instead of my preference of navigating recent threads or forums via the front page.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I always use the new post function to browse. I see the "New Post" label and saying any new post in any thread.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Steve: I usually start with the "Home" page, and then hit "New Posts", which brings up everything I have not read. Just think of "New posts" as "New" to you only.

As for tracking any threads I have personally started or post to, I just slide my mouse cursor over to the left hand "Site Navigation" bar; down to My NC WW; and then onto My Thread Subscriptions and click the mouse. That will bring up all the threads I have started or posted to and the ones I have not read will be highlighted.

If the "New Posts" starts getting into too many pages, preview the titles and get the original post synopses, but after reading all you want, go to the "Forums" page, and down at the bottom will be "mark all forums read", which will reset the "New Posts" to anything posted after you hit that button.

I do clean out "My thread subscriptions" occasionally by checking the ones I don't want to keep in the little box on the right and then going down to the box at the bottom that says "move to folder" and click the down arrow to "delete" and then hit "go"to get rid of them.

That's how I do it anyway

Go

PS; Realize when you log in a lot of work has been done to adapt this site to you, your preferences, and what you have seen, so Your home page is different than mine or others, depending on parameters you set in you personal options menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS