New Porter Cable 15" drill press

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hi All,

I bought a 15" Porter Cable drill press (8amp) couple of weeks ago. I set it up, and then decided to buy a Kipa Keyless chuck from Amazon. The Drill was 429.00 and the Kipa was 34.00

I did a runout test on after putting the new chuck on itit just to see how much runout is evident. To my my surprise it was only 2-3 thousandths. Plenty accurate for my needs.

Since moving from NC and relocating in Hawaii, options for getting things here are limited. This was the only real choice unless I went to 1000.00 plus.

The table is cast steel and not the best, but I already covered with a track-table so that was not in issue for me.

2nd thing, the base is kinda narrow so, I installed 2 14x18 inch wings to the base one on each side to improve the stability until I decide where its final home will be.

Bottom line, it is a great deal if you are only in need of a middle of the road drill press.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
Hi All,

I bought a 15" Porter Cable drill press (8amp) couple of weeks ago. I set it up, and then decided to buy a Kipa Keyless chuck from Amazon. The Drill was 429.00 and the Kipa was 34.00

I did a runout test on after putting the new chuck on itit just to see how much runout is evident. To my my surprise it was only 2-3 thousandths. Plenty accurate for my needs.

Since moving from NC and relocating in Hawaii, options for getting things here are limited. This was the only real choice unless I went to 1000.00 plus.

The table is cast steel and not the best, but I already covered with a track-table so that was not in issue for me.

2nd thing, the base is kinda narrow so, I installed 2 14x18 inch wings to the base one on each side to improve the stability until I decide where its final home will be.

Bottom line, it is a great deal if you are only in need of a middle of the road drill press.
Hi oka,
how did you remove the old chuck?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
MT2 Spindle is a taper you use a small piece of tapered flat stock as shown in this video

Most drill presses are this way. If you want to remove or replace the MT2 spindle to remove the chuck is easy, it is usually pressed on with a retaining screw at the bottom of the chuck holding it. Sometimes there is not a screw depends on brand.

If you remove the screw (usually Hex head) then you can use a drift to tap it apart from the spindle. A drift can be a #3 nail set and a vise.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS