New Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
I am looking to buy a benchtop planer in the next couple weeks and am interested to hear from you folks any ideas on the different makes. Which ones do you guys own and/or have used and what are the pros and cons of them. I am willing to pay for quality, but I really wonder if the extra money makes that much of a difference. I am looking for one that gets my stock to the thickness I need, not necessarily looking for a sandless finish. As a matter of fact, I am interested in getting it to within 1/16 or 3/32 and finishing it up with handplanes. I would do it all by hand because usually I have all the time in the world since I am just a hobbyist, but I need to finish a rather large project by Christmas for my mother and just do not have the time to handplane it all. And I really don't know woodworkers in the Raleigh area well enough to borrow or use their equipment. I know, rather longwinded, but just found this forum and I am excited that we have something like this.

Tom

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
hi, i use a ryobi ap10, its over 20 yrs old and a workhorse. but as soon as i get my own shop space (soon now i think) i'll be getting the makita 12", i know a couple of people who have them. they're really quiet for benchtop machinery and the quick change cutterhead makes the sale for me. its not the cheapest machine out there but the low noise level and quick change knives are worth it. $449 at woodcraft right now, and a free RO sander if you buy before the end of the month.

phillip

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, first WELCOME!!! we are glad to have you here. I have the Delta TP400LS 12.5" planer and am very happy with it. It is great for hobbiest use, and doesn't require much touching up afterwards. The scale is dead on, so you can thickness right down to what you need. It has disposable blades which are cheap and only take a few minutes to change out. That is nice if you are doing that special project after beating the heck out of them with a lot of rough stock. Snipe is very minimal, and even less with a set-up of in and out feed roller stands. I appreciate your handplaning desires, and hop you might be able to give some advice, as I start to slide down that slippery slope into Neanderthalism (if you don't get that, it's not an insult, just a ww'ers forum thingy). Again a big welcome and I look forward to your input around here. Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Phillip,

First off, welcome to ncww's. I have the Dewalt 734 12 /12" and have used it for several years with fairly good success. It will not take more than 1/16" in a pass and if you are taking down thick stock, it will take you a while. I had to replace the rubber covered infeed roller and drive belt but that wasn't a big expense. I would like to have a 15" myself. Anyway, since I don't have any hands on knowledge of any other brand, I can't comment on them. Check Amazon, Tools Plus just to name a couple of places. Locally, Lowes carrys Dewalt and Woodworkers Supply in Graham carries about all brands.

Good luck on your search.

Mike

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've got a 20 year old Ryobi 10" and just bought a recon DW735. I got the DW at ToolKing $359.00 delivered. Big reason was dust control. The DW has a blower that really moves the planer dust out! I just mounted it in a combination roll around work table. See my gallery for pix if you want. Spent most of today trying to get everything level, but still have some snipe on boards that have an attitude. The Ryobi still works fine as a planer, but I have to use it outside because of the shavings.Good luck,
Joe

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
slide down that slippery slope into Neanderthalism (if you don't get that, it's not an insult, just a ww'ers forum thingy).

No offense taken! And believe you me, it is a very slippery slope. I cannot believe how much fun (and very, very hard work) it is to take a rough cut 4/4 hardwood board and make it into a 3/4 S4S board to use in a piece of furniture without turning on a jointer or planer and DC. Unfortunately, like I said in my first post, I just don't have the time on this project (that is, if I want my mother to actually receive her Christmas present somewhere around Christmas.....and yes, that means 2005! ...ha ha).

Thanks everyone for your ideas and I will check back often for any others that come in. I will let you know which one I decide to get and what I think about it!

Tom

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Just a personal point of view. Doin't judge today' Ryobi products by what they were 20 years ago. Today's products are nowhere near as good.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have the older model Delta TP300, do yourself a favor, and get one with a bit more power. Don't get me wrong, it has served me well, but I do with I would have went with a more beefier model.

woodguy1975

New User
John
For the portable class planer the best is the new Dewalt. If you are on a slightly tighter budget the Ridgid is a good planer. At least the previous version is that I have.

Good Luck,

John

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
woodguy1975 said:
For the portable class planer the best is the new Dewalt. If you are on a slightly tighter budget the Ridgid is a good planer. At least the previous version is that I have.

Good Luck,

John

I agree. That new DeWalt is just hard to beat. I have the Ridgid also, and I have been very happy with it. I have an article on portable planers (WOOD magazine I think), the Ridgid had the fastest knife changing in the group.

jglord

New User
John
I've been using my Dewalt 735 for some time now and am very pleased with it. When I was shopping for a planer, the Dewalt's three blade cutter made the difference for me.
One note of caution: I started out using the planer with the supplied chip outlet and found the internal blower blasted the chips 20 feet or more and made catching the pieces at the back end dangerous. I do not have a dust collection system, so I purchased the Dewalt hose and hood assembly for this planer. The hood goes on a standard trash can and planer blasts all chips into the can.
Over the time I've used the tool I've filled several can with sawdust and have not had to turn the blades over yet. I did nick the blades planing some rough maple and simply shifted the blades right and left. The planer continues to do a beautiful job.
I highly recomend the 735.:-D

DavidF

New User
David
I'll add to the DW735 crowd, research seemed to point that way and in the VERY short time 48hrs, that I have had, I am not disapointed

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
AP 12 here. Only problem I've had is new knives for it. They were much more than the new AP 13 knives until I found a set of Delta's that fit it. Don't really know which one would be my next. I'm watching this one closley

TominZebulon

New User
Tom Meehan
Well everyone, thanks for all the words of wisdom and they all helped tremendously. I bought a new (to me anyway) today. I bought the Jet that Erin was selling. It is the 15", 3 HP model. It has some surface rust on the bed and cutterhead, but should be really nice after a couple hours of putting some elbow grease into it. . Again, thanks everyone for all the advice.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I figured someone would beat me to the punch. Glad it was one of us. Was all set to go this weekend but guess I will save the gas money and put it towards another one.

MIke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS