New, Old Guy from Carrboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
My name is Luke, a semi-retired university teacher. My friends say I have too many hobbies...no such thing as too much fun. I am a long-time long-distance runner...getting older and slower, I raise a few cows for fun (no profit in cows, that's for sure)...tinker with 4 always broken tractors, love anything outdoors, and I LOVE to see wood curl of the lathe tools....and I eat standing up in front of the refrigerator...and then move on to more rewarding activities.

As soon as I can figure out how to include pictures, I will bore the visual learners with a look at my immediate surroundings and people important in my life. Any help on loading images will be appreciated.

Luke

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi there, Luke!

Welcome to the site.:icon_thum:icon_thum

Great bunch of folks here willing to offer plenty of advice and even toss in lots of entertainment in the process.

You may want to take a look at this thread of a pretty comprehensive review of posting pictures here at NCWoodworker.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f86/how-add-picture-your-post-updated-8-24-09-a-25508/

Looking forward to reading your future posts and seeing some examples of your work.

Have fun and stay safe around those power tools (and tractors)!

Wayne

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the group Luke! Did you say lathe?? Glad to hear there's another turner nearby. :icon_thum

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Luke,

Great to see you here! I'm not much of a turner (Just enough to be dangerous) but if there's anything I can help with, just let me know.

A great bunch of folks here that are willing to help, that's for sure!

Welcome!

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Hi Luke,

Welcome to NCWW.net. Visiting here can be the cyber equivalent of the neighborhood lunch counter. Glad you could stop in and say hello. Whenever you're not busy, please do share your work and joys at this virtual watering hole.

Dean

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Luke. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap This is a wonderful group of folks. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

llucas

luke
Senior User
Guys, thanks for the overwhelming welcome...I am going to like this site....re. showing off my "turnings", for a while I am just happy to get them off the lathe without having them ricochet around the shop....sometimes very exciting turning wood!
In the book on woodturning, I am now on the chapter entitled "Things I'll Try NOT To Do Again".
Thanks for your support.
Luke

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Luke. Welcome to NCWW! I must admit that your post made me do a double take! The word "Carrboro" coupled with "Old tractors and raising cows" are not often found in the same post! :gar-La;

In addition to your woodworking afflictions, what type of tractors do you have? Do you ever make it over to any of the local tractor and farm equipment shows (Silk Hope, Denton, Carthage, Sanford, etc).

llucas

luke
Senior User
Scott
Thanks for noticing the tractor thing...they are more a necessity than a nicety...I have a JD 1010, a JD 2155, a MF 253, and a sometimes running Dexta (which shares the shed with my turning wood pile.

Dragging fallen wood back to the barn is easier with a mechanical beast of burden.
I have been to some of the Silk Hope happenings, but not recently....I have been infected with the need to turn, and it is consuming a lot of my time.

On a wood related note, I need some advice on turning green wood end-grain. I have seen some who say you can leave the pith in as long as you turn it thin enough to dry without cracking, AND if you are willing to live with the anticipated distortion drying will bring.
So if I were to try a hollow form end-grain in, say pecan or maybe cedar maybe 8 inch diameter, what is the best approach?
Pith in or Pith out?
This is from a newbie who is trying to learn...thanks.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Leon, I can't help you in the turning arena, but thanks for sharing the info about your tractors. They are indeed a wonderful tool and you've got a good assortment. Mine are all colors except green (Kioti, New Holland, older Ford, Hinomoto), but at least I've got some JD construction equipment! Skid steers sure come in handy for moving large round bales.

One of our turning pro's should be chiming in soon about the pith wood.

Regards,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS