New NCWW Oureach Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Is there any kind of schedule? I am crazy busy through the end of September, but could volunteer some time after that. I scroll, carve and turn and would do whatever to help out.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There is no set schedule, at least not for the foreseeable future. Once the trailer is ready, we will begin to schedule sessions as opportunities arise. At that point, I will contact volunteers w/ the appropriate skill set in the correct area to get everything lined up. When the request goes out, if you're available, that's great. If not, hopefully someone else will be.

I expect there will be somewhat of a learning curve on our first few sessions.

Bill

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Russ, I did not communicate well at all. When I asked if you could provide the right height and type of bench for our students that have to work with a wheelchair, I meant the actual dimension from the lathe spindle to the floor. We need to recreate what you have so we can transport it to various training sites. Thanks

Phil - the short answer is there is NO boilerplate/"one-size-fits-all" height to accommodate every "short person". Not everyone is the same height, standing or sitting, so the individual heights are compensated for with the height of the stool they sit on. While it would standardize things if we actually turned directly from wheelchairs, my personal experience is that wheelchairs are not stable enough - they move too easily, even when locked, so I turn from an adjustable-height draftsman's chair. There is another option (probably more than one), but it is pretty pricey and/or involved, as that is to buy or build a tilting lathe stand like those that have been posted already.
However, if some of the other volunteers took on the project of building those stands for the three lathes our project is acquiring, that would be a wonderful addition to the program. As I understand it, those stands are height adjustable, making them probably the BEST solution. BTW, if someone is willing to do that I would like to buy another from them for my own use. Hope this is helpful, and answers your question.

Russ

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil - the short answer is there is NO boilerplate/"one-size-fits-all" height to accommodate every "short person". Not everyone is the same height, standing or sitting, so the individual heights are compensated for with the height of the stool they sit on. While it would standardize things if we actually turned directly from wheelchairs, my personal experience is that wheelchairs are not stable enough - they move too easily, even when locked, so I turn from an adjustable-height draftsman's chair. There is another option (probably more than one), but it is pretty pricey and/or involved, as that is to buy or build a tilting lathe stand like those that have been posted already.
However, if some of the other volunteers took on the project of building those stands for the three lathes our project is acquiring, that would be a wonderful addition to the program. As I understand it, those stands are height adjustable, making them probably the BEST solution. BTW, if someone is willing to do that I would like to buy another from them for my own use. Hope this is helpful, and answers your question.

Russ

Russ, Those tilting/adjustable stands seem to be the ticket. I am waking up at strange hours with design ideas as ours need to also be easily mobile. I am convinced that we can build these. Our fist classes need to be internal. Hopefully we can use you as our first "short student"

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I know that I have not commented on this very much mainly due to my job not allowing much participation. However I want to say that I think the whole idea is incredible, and if I can find a place to fit in I will jump in with both feet!!!

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I am on the list to prepare pen blanks and feel almost honored to be a part of this plan. I have just completed a couple large projects in my shop and the scrap barrel is full. Rather than burn the wood, it seems some of it would proobably make suitable pen blanks, but I need a little informaiton about the size you want. I have red cedar, a little curly maple, a little walnut, some cherry, and some oak. If some one can get back to me with a size, I can reduce some of this to pen blanks and hold on to it until you are ready. Thanks in advance.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
James & Wally & others regarding pen blanks,

The standard size that you can use to make almost any pen is 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 to 6". Larger sizes like 1 1/2 to 2" x 3"=/- are good for bottle stoppers.
Besides those, longer, bigger spindle blanks, like from 2" square (and up) x 6 to 24" long make great blanks for people learning to turn different shapes with different tools...then practice, practice, practice.

IMHO, practice blanks are the best choice for "plain" wood, saving the more figured pieces for pen blanks and such, but whatever you have will definitely be used, and appreciated. Again, just my opinion.

Russ

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Russ, Those tilting/adjustable stands seem to be the ticket. I am waking up at strange hours with design ideas as ours need to also be easily mobile. I am convinced that we can build these. Our fist classes need to be internal. Hopefully we can use you as our first "short student"

I have plenty of Guinea Pig in my blood, so no worries, I'd be glad to!

Russ

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
James & Wally & others regarding pen blanks,

The standard size that you can use to make almost any pen is 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 to 6". Larger sizes like 1 1/2 to 2" x 3"=/- are good for bottle stoppers.
Besides those, longer, bigger spindle blanks, like from 2" square (and up) x 6 to 24" long make great blanks for people learning to turn different shapes with different tools...then practice, practice, practice.

IMHO, practice blanks are the best choice for "plain" wood, saving the more figured pieces for pen blanks and such, but whatever you have will definitely be used, and appreciated. Again, just my opinion.

Russ

Let me just add that with pen, stopper, and most spindle type blanks the grain should run end to end the length of the blank and not crosswise. Crosswise turning can be done but best left for an experienced turner.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am on the list to prepare pen blanks and feel almost honored to be a part of this plan. I have just completed a couple large projects in my shop and the scrap barrel is full. Rather than burn the wood, it seems some of it would proobably make suitable pen blanks, but I need a little informaiton about the size you want. I have red cedar, a little curly maple, a little walnut, some cherry, and some oak. If some one can get back to me with a size, I can reduce some of this to pen blanks and hold on to it until you are ready. Thanks in advance.

JUst not sure yet, We will get back to you soon and thanks for helping

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
After wiating for over a week for a reply from Dirk Boelman, I finally received one in regards to the Outreach Program. He appologized for not being able to answer sooner, and said he looked forward to "talking" with me about the program--when things wind down from his busy Summer show schedule. Surprisingly, he responded almost immediately to other communications on other subjects between us. So....I don't foresee any helpful advice from that quarter in the immediate future.
On another note, I've also discovered that there are other programs of various sorts, aimed at Disabled Vets and Wounded Warriors that have been undertaken in the woodworking community. Some of the originators of these programs deeply resent "competition" from others doing anything similar. I am amazed and dismayed that there might be any individual that feels that way. God Bless anyone who gives of their time and resources to help a Veteran. I am a veteran of the Brown Water Navy, 1965-1966, Tropical Paradise of South Viet Nam.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I have close to 100 pen blanks ready to send to whoever gets them and am stockpiling material for the next batch. Let me know when and where to ship them

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
On another note, I've also discovered that there are other programs of various sorts, aimed at Disabled Vets and Wounded Warriors that have been undertaken in the woodworking community. Some of the originators of these programs deeply resent "competition" from others doing anything similar. I am amazed and dismayed that there might be any individual that feels that way. God Bless anyone who gives of their time and resources to help a Veteran. I am a veteran of the Brown Water Navy, 1965-1966, Tropical Paradise of South Viet Nam.

Seems to me that the more the better. We cannot acknowledge or help our vets too much. This just seems crazy and very small minded.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Seems to me that the more the better. We cannot acknowledge or help our vets too much. This just seems crazy and very small minded.

On the contrary - I think it is natural for people to feel proud and protective of organizations they have built. A lot of of effort is spent in a program like this setting up all the infrastructure - the paperwork, planning, etc. They may feel simply like our time would be better spent helping them within the organization that is already in place - e.g. doing the woodworking rather than re-creating the organizational wheel. And in some ways, they're right. It would be advantageous for the vets to have one-and-only-one place to go to get a wide variety of services. It might actually be hard for those interested in this effort to find out about it through their various channels. I'm not saying the attitude exhibited by these people was correct (I wasn't privy to those conversations)...just empathizing with a natural human tendency.

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I guess it depends on weather you personal reward comes from building a structure to handle the need or in fulfilling the actual need itself.

DWSmith

New User
David
I realize this is far after the fact but...Did anyone think to find out if this would be a similar program to what another group has already offered? Maybe its not to late to try and combine our efforts with another groups to lower the cost for each group and maybe do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS