New Mooresville Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSuther

New User
Stan
My name is Stan Suther. I don't know where I stumbled into your site, but I'm happy I did. I live in Mooresville and run a real estate office for Century 21 in Troutman. The office is on the land where my house was when I grew up here. The shop I work in at home in Mooresville used to be behind my parent's house, and before that, it was behind my grandparent's house across the road. So, my shop which was built in the 30's, is in it's third location. I used to hang out as a kid there with my grandfather. The shop is still filled with the old stationary power tools that my father and grandfather bought when they set it up, and I've recently gotten most of it cleaned up and working well. I also inherited a decent stack of walnut to play with. I'm not a novice but far from expert. Old Roy got me interested in hand tools years ago, and I've been hunting them and putting them in working order ever since. Don't have much time in the shop right now, but I have grand expectations for myself in the future. I'll post some photos of the shop that you might enjoy.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Stan, we're glad you stumbled our way!

Hope you enjoy the site, we have a great diversity of interests that include wood, new tools, and old tools. You should fit right in :mrgreen:

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Stan, we're glad you found us also. I would enjoy your shop pictures, so please post them as soon as you get a chance. See you around!!!!

Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Stan!:wave:

Would love to see some photo's of the shop and your older tool collection! You are very fortunate to have the opportunity to work in a shop that you have such close ties too. I think that I would start to reminisce every time i entered it. Is there any of your father or grandfathers work still in the shop?

I am sure that you will have a lot to offer of interest to us woodworking newbies here at NCWW.

You will certainly enjoy talking to these great folks and you are encouraged to post often,

Take care and most of all - have fun!

Wayne

SSuther

New User
Stan
I actually have several large pieces including a stepback hutch and corner cabinet made by my grandfather, and a drop front secretary made by my father. In his later years, my father's woodworking was "ruined" by his interest in golf, so I don't have much from him. Everytime I go in the shop, I do get a great sentimental feeling for both father and grandfather. It's the best toy a boy ever had!:-D

skeeter

New User
Charles
You are indeed a lucky man! I would love to have a shop and tools like you described, with the type of meaning that comes along with them.

Glad you stumbled onto our site. Hope to hear more from you in the future (and see pix). Welcome!!

M

McRabbet

Welcome aboard Stan -- happy to have you join us in our mutual love of making stuff from wood. Enjoy.

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I actually have several large pieces including a stepback hutch and corner cabinet made by my grandfather, and a drop front secretary made by my father.
Stan

Hope you get a chance to post some pictures of those pieces, Stan!

Wayne

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, as you can tell, this group is starved for pictures! So be sure you feed us! I am glad you found us.

cskipper

Cathy
We sure are glad you did stumble upon us. Your set-up sounds terrific! Looking forward to those pictures!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Welcome Stan, I am glad you were able to finds and then decided to join. There is a lot of good information flowing out of this site and I believe you will find it both informative and entertaining at times.

D L

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Welcome to you, Stan! Always great to have new members coming on board. You will enjoy the discussions that take place pn this forum and with the talent that these folks here have, you will learn a lot in the process.
Please do post some pictures of your dad's and granddad's work for us to admire, and of corse their tools also!

Pat

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Stan,

Good to meet you, and welcome to the site. I understand the feeling of attachment to your father and grandfather. My father was a woodworker and his shop was in the basement of our house.

Ray

hutchwood

New User
dennis hutchens
welcome stan....im an old troutman boy myself....if i can ever help you with anything, just get in touch....you're going to love this site,,lot of knowledge and info here......good luck

SSuther

New User
Stan
Just thought I'd let you know I just posted some photos of the old shop I mentioned earlier- both in the moving process and as it stands now. The old stationary tools you see were placed there by my father and grandfather. Most are 1930s vintage Sears. Lots of difference in those and Sears tools now. The newer stuff is mine, of course. I'll add some photos of some of the old hand tools I've accumulated later.

jtdums

New User
Jim
Welcome aboard. I live in Mooresville too. If you need help with anything give a hollar. This is a very knowledgeable group of friendly people. I'm glad to be a part of myself.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
SSuther said:
Just thought I'd let you know I just posted some photos of the old shop I mentioned earlier- both in the moving process and as it stands now.
Very cool pics, that shop has definitely got character. Nice collection of planes you have.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS