** New Method of CPR - No Joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildintechie

New User
Jeff
This is very true, although I'm not sure if the AHA has switched to it yet, its coming. The thought process behind going to CCR (Continuous Compression Resuscitation) is twofold. First, often "civilians", or people who don't have formal Emergency Medical training, focus on giving the rescue breaths, and forget, or dont give enough compressions. The thought process is that people need air to live, and if somebody gives a downed person enough air, they'll wake up. The problem is if people forget to give compressions, then the air you're breathing into somebody's lungs, doesn't have anywhere to go. The act of compressions mimics the beating of the heart, and allows blood to move from the heart to the lungs to the brain, etc. The second problem is that often compressions that are provided are not adequate, in both speed and force. This problem is with both EMS responders and civilians alike. For speed...think about the song "Stayin Alive", which is the proper beat (100 compressions per minute) for CPR and CCR. You want the force of your compressions on an average adult to be hard enough that you're hands are doing in about 1/4-1/3 the depth of the chest. This means in the geriatric population, you will most likely break several ribs, its better they have broken ribs than be dead. I still despise the sound of breaking ribs.

Anyhow, hope somebody found this helpful, sorry to ramble. :icon_cheers

~Jeffrey Howard,
Firefighter/EMT, Parkwood Fire Dept, Durham NC
Firefighter/EMT, Redwood Fire Dept, Durham NC

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
This has been on the local news here a lot lately. American Heart Association is indeed changing the CPR protocols for witnessed cardiac arrests in adults. I am a former certified AHA CPR Instructor, so it does interest me when they change the methods. CPR is something that everyone should learn if they are able to perform it. It is required in some hazardous trades.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
I hope y'all get something out of this... and share it with Your friends & family.

Thank you.... & take care....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS