Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Just found this site and it is great to find other wood butchers around the state.
Been doing this woodworking thing for about 18 years. Got started with a copy of FineWoodworking magazined on the newstand got my attention, as well as Norm Abram of NYY fame. Got started just like everyone else with el-cheapo tools, working my way up to better and better. And as everyone knows, it knocks a bigger and bigger hole in the wallet.
I work as an insurance claims adjuster for a major insurer, mostly in the eastern part of NC. Married, 2 daughters, one of which is in Chapel Hill for her 1st year of college. Grew up in Forest City, went to Livingstone College, worked for textile companies for a while, a brewery and finally insurance claims.
I don't consider myself an expert by no means, but I do both new furniture and a lot of restorations. Machinery include a Rockwell/Delta Unisaw, Laguna LT18 bandsaw. Andreou Machinery jointer/planer, Delta dust collector, Woodfast Lathe, Performax sander, more routers than most folks need(10), a host of other benchtop and handheld tools. Use both machines and hand tools when needed.
Looks like a great web site and community. Look forward to meeting others.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Welcome aboard, we look forward to your input and seeing some of your work. Please request a gallery and then post some pictures of your shop and your work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll second the welcome, and looking forward to your input. This is a great place to talk woodworking and full of some of the nicest people you ever meet. See you around. Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike. You'll find a lot of experience here (little from me), but I am sure everyone is looking forward to your input.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike. Always good to meet another butcher!!! Realy somebody with that arsenal of tools good not possibly butcher anything. Welcome aboard:icon_thum

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Mike, let me add my welcome, too. It is a pretty good group of people here and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Hi Mike! Welcome to the information-from-people-who-know-way-more-about-woodworking-than-me superhighway! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work.
-Chris

DavidF

New User
David
Welcome Mike - we should talk about those 10 routers someday - you don't own a dovetail jig by any chance do you? insider joke, see previous posting that started a whole new discussion:lol:

DavidF

New User
David
It was actually the one that started on what is the best DT jig and got split after my comments about the serenity of hand tools etc that eventually lead to the "mentoring" program -you might remember that one:oops:

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Mike! As you will be able to tell, none of us consider the possibililty that anyone can have too many tools. We may need to learn how to use them, but we want them! We live in Forest City - my husband grew up around Ruth and I'm a @#$@$@ yankee (the kind that came to stay). You won't find a nicer group of folks so just jump in.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Glad you found us Mike!

Although my shop has no commonality with yours, I grew up in Caroleen (only you, I and the Skippers know where that is :eusa_shhh), worked in a cotten mill during the summers, and went to UNC.

Looking forward to pixs of your work and shop :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS