New member!

Status
Not open for further replies.

10fingers

New User
Bill
Hello!

I was looking for ideas on DIY telescope tripods and I came across this wonderful site. Now, this is what I'm talking about! Great site, serious folks, and great ideas.

I am an amateur astronomer about to head into the deep, dark rabbit hole of astrophotography, and my other passion has become wood work in the last three years. Moving into a new home with a bigger garage and a lot to fix up, my tool collections has grown as I've needed new capabilities as projects evolve. My very first involved wood piece was an adjustable chair for more comfortable viewing through a telescope normally requiring a small ladder. I had the option to buy the thing made for $550 or buy the plans and make it myself. What a joy woodworking is! I got the bug.

Like the projects I take on, my approach is with enormous patience and taking the time to be as precise as possible and make everything a learning opportunity. I love woorkworking! At 47, I'm a late bloomer to it, but here I am now :eusa_danc

So clear skies and happy sawdust making!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Bill, you'll enjoy it here.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Bill. Glad you found us and decided to join in. Sounds like you've found a way to merge your two hobbies. I can't imagine the type of special equipment you will need for astrophotography. I assume that means taking pictures of deep space?

10fingers

New User
Bill
Deep space, and planets, comets... all the space stuff! The woodwork involved with amateur astronomy is strictly for viewing, not the imaging part... that is, unless my tripod turns out rock solid, then maybe I'll save some coin. The astrophotography stuff is pricey!

Attachments

• 20170320_201817.jpg
    20170320_201817.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20170320_201853.jpg
    20170320_201853.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 142

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little spot on the web Bill, glad to have you with us. there are lots of great folks here and there are always ones willing to share some knowledge or lend a hand. Hope that you are successful, would love to see some pics.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to our sawdust pile Bill. Great folks here and plenty of knowledge. Hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS