Status
Not open for further replies.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
Hello everyone! I have been lurking on the forums for a few weeks and figured if I didn't introduce myself soon the tool gods would come down on me. I am a 36 year old Marine stationed in Jacksonville with my wife and 2 kids (6 and 3). I am originally from Texas and my wife is from Illinois (still not sure how that happened) and am sort of new to woodworking. Growing up my family was very into farming and metal fab. My Grandfather worked for IH for 52 years and could build anything. Unfortunately, about 1% of his skill trickled down to me.

We moved into a new house about a year ago and one of the stipulations I made was that I get a workshop. Well, about 2 weeks ago we poured the slab so I guess there is no turning back now! The plan is for a 24x32 combination of metal and wood workshop. I am still very early in the planning stages (the size is set so no "go bigger" suggestions please) and am having a VERY hard time of trying to plan everything out. Currently I am burning up the Grizzly shop planner and am on my 15th different plan I think. So, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have the beginnings of a basic shop, but still need a few items such as: Drill Press, Band Saw and an upgraded table saw. My current TS is a cheap Hitachi portable that worked o.k. for me, but will not make it to the new shop.

I am very open to suggestions and look forward to learning a lot you all of you.

Ken

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Ken, I am glad you decide to come out of the shadows and introduce yourself. Where in IL. is your wife from, I was born there. It sounds like you have a nice sized shop planned, mine is 25' x 25' and it suits my needs well. I wouldn't agonize too much about the initial layout of your shop, you will change it. Just plan accordingly for those changes. A good shop is always a work in process :roll: But I would bet that you would find excellent suggestion is you posted one of the versions of your layout for critique.
Personally I would recommend that you look to Grizzly for your new machinery. It's good stuff, at a good price. My shop is 80% Griz with a bit of orange Ridgid thrown in for fashion-ability. Color coordination is very important in a good shop :lol::lol::roll::roll:
You've found a great place to hang and learn, there is wealth of knowledge available within our membership. All you got to do is ask.
I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pics of your new shop in progress and the results that come out of it.
Jump on in and have fun:icon_thum
Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Ken,

Thank you for your service to our country!!!!

Welcome to the best AND friendliest WWing site on the whole WWW!:eusa_danc:lol::eusa_clap:icon_thum
Everyone is positive and always willing to help out. Don't hesitate to jump in with questions or suggestions.

I'm fairly new to WWing too, but the ONE thing I have found out is you can't have too many receptacles in your shop! Put in as many as you think you will need, then double that number. You will never regret it. It's easier AND cheaper to do it now that later. DAMHIKT:slap::crybaby2::eusa_doh:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Ken, and thanks for "doing what you do." We owe all you Leathernecks a huge debt of gratitude. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Glad to hear you're started on the shop. If you can, put in a roll-up door or something that will open up to at least 6'. I have two 9' roll-ups and am really glad I put them in. Don't skimp on the electrical. Put in a minimum of a 200 amp panel. You'll need more circuits than you may think. And lay in some 230 volt receptacles.
A 9 or 10' ceiling is also nice if you can make it work.

Keep us posted as you progress. This is the best bunch you'll find anywhere.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Ken. I was in the Marines for eighteen years... well actually, it just felt like it since my dad was a MSGT in the Corps :roll: .

Anyway, it's great to have you here. Keep us posted with your shop progress.

Semper Fi!

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Welcome!

Always glad for other WW'ers out here. Most everyone is on the left-side of the state. Welcome to the right! I am out here in Trenton, about 15 minutes away. You still in the USMC? I got out about 3 years ago, but still work on the range.

Semper Sawdust!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Ken -- I too salute you for your service to all of us -- we are strong supporters of our military men and women and have many active, reserve and retired military on the site. By all means, you need to take some pictures as you progress and post them in a photo gallery here -- and be sure to visit our Link and Download Libraries for additional goodies. We are a friendly lot, so don't fear (boy is that an oxymoron -- who ever heard of a fearful Marine!) to ask any questions as you think of them -- as many have said before, "the only stupid question is the one that is not asked".

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Ken,

Wecome ! It's always good to have fresh meat:lol:. We've got lots of knowledge(not mine:)) on this site to help you out if needed.

As far as the shop is considered here's a few tips:

If you hadn't poured yet I would have recommended a few outlets in the floor (for TS, Planer, Jointer , etc.) but thats not possible now.

- If possible 200 amp 220v service, with a lot of outlets. Put a lot of wall outlets @ 50" ht. ( they wont be blocked by plywood and are easily reached)

- Think about your Dust Collection now

-If possible, insulate walls and ceiling before finishing them or moving equiptment in.

-As Reggie said, at least one 6' wide door. But remember garage doors are hard to insulate and suck heating and cooling from your shop.

-For your metalwork area, I'm figuring that some welding is planned, if so isolate that area from the wood chips and dust and put fire proof material on the walls, also don't for get ventilation in this area.

-Think ahead of time about material storage, metal and wood.

-And did I mention asmany outlets as possible 110v and 220v.

- As far as layout is concerned, don't worry too much, as Dave said "things change". Layout will be decided by amounts of, and size of equiptment that you eventually purchase.

One last thing "Thank you for serving"

Jimmy:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ken, welcome to the forum! It's great to have another Texan here (and another metalworker to boot!).

Can't wait to see pix of your shop project. Others have posted some great advice, I would add a couple of items:

1 - try to locate the dust collection system and air compressor in a shed attached to the side of the building. This will get the noise outside.
2 - insulate and put in some type of HVAC system - well worth while and the humidity control is important.

Scott

J

jeff...

Ken, welcome to the forum! It's great to have another Texan here (and another metalworker to boot!).

Can't wait to see pix of your shop project. Others have posted some great advice, I would add a couple of items:

1 - try to locate the dust collection system and air compressor in a shed attached to the side of the building. This will get the noise outside.
2 - insulate and put in some type of HVAC system - well worth while and the humidity control is important.

Scott

Welcome Ken

Cool new Avatar Scott - it fits you perfectly :eek:ccasion1

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ken, welcome! You're going to have the best shop in the state by the time it's done, the folks on the forum here will make sure of that. The one thing I really lack in my basement shop is natural light. You'll lose some wall space for hanging stuff, but I recommend many large windows, and maybe even a few skylights. Almost everything else can be updated/ moved/ enhanced later, but windows are good to put in from the start.

Oh, and we want pictures. I know, it's just a slab. Still want pictures :)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Ken, welcome! You're going to have the best shop in the state by the time it's done, the folks on the forum here will make sure of that. The one thing I really lack in my basement shop is natural light. You'll lose some wall space for hanging stuff, but I recommend many large windows, and maybe even a few skylights. Almost everything else can be updated/ moved/ enhanced later, but windows are good to put in from the start.

Oh, and we want pictures. I know, it's just a slab. Still want pictures :)

Bas,
I know what you're talking about with the windows, I worked in basement shops for years. But there are problems with them too. Eyes can pry and security can be breached easily, so windows aren't good everywhere. My shop is off the street and away from prying eyes, but that also means that neighbors can't see it either, I have no windows other than high ,thin security types. But I have 12' wide x 10' tall gararge doors that I can open during good weather. But these doors have their own issues (insulation, loss of wall space,etc.). I agree with skylights if possible, and high narrow windows, also if you put in a garage door ,and it's tall enough, have small windows in it for light.

Jimmy:)

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the North Carolina Woodworker site,:eusa_clap Glad to have you join us.:icon_thum
And as Bas sad we want pictures. I know, it's just a slab. Still want pictures. :camera:

Danny

mcoston2

New User
michael
Yep, welcome to the NCWW's site. Lots of knowledge here. I'm still learning from these people.:-D And on this site, no pic's, didn't happen. So if you don't have a camera, add that to the shop tool list.:lol:
And again, WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Welcome, Ken and thanks for your service!

Don't be surprised if you get offers of help. This is one friendly site!:yes:

Steve

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Ken,

Welcome to our pile-o-sawdust. Always good to have another woodworker join us. Don't forget to upload photos of your shop as your put it together... and any other project you're working on... we love our photos.

Ray

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Whats up Devil-Dog!! Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have great beginnings with the slab already done. It is a good sized shop and with the right planning you will have more than enough room for both WW and Machining. There is great knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome and make sure you take pictures of the whole process, we love pictures.

TXnNC

New User
Ken
Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I hope to start framing next month and I can assure you that I will spend many hours trying to plan this thing out. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you and promise to post pics this weekend.

Ken

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hello Ken and please accept my thanks for your service to our nation. Welcome to the group, ask anything, any time. Someone will always try and help out here. We love pix of your projects and yourself! Even family and pets. I look forward to seeing your shop progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS