New Member with a lumber question...thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Williams 2975

New User
Chris
I am new to forum and am from Greenville, SC...not to far from NC border. I am looking for a source to find circular sawn rough sawn pine (or other wood) that is milled from the old style circular saw mill as opposed to the bandsaw technique. Anybody have any ideas, or know of a source. I would love to give a fellow member some business! Thanks so much in advance!!!! You have a great site here!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Chris, welcome! Is this what you mean by an old-style circular saw?
[YOUTUBE]BOO-MKRvrK0[/YOUTUBE]
This is Scott Smith's (scsmith42 here on the forum) setup, he does a thing or two in quartersawn white oak but I don't know if he does pine.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Pretty sure most the sawyers on our list are using bandsaw mills. I used to pass an old fashioned circular mill on Hwy 25 between Simpsonville and the state line (close to the Boiled Peanut Guy) on my trips from Asheville to Greenville. Mind you this was 15 years ago. Look for slabs.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm not speaking for Chris, but if I had rough, circular sawn planks on an old barn/outbuilding and needed to replace a few boards or do an addition, I would want them to match. The sawblade patterns are different/smoother on lumber from a bandsaw mill.

Chris may be looking for a man with 7 fingers and no teeth. The place I mentioned fits that description too.:dontknow:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If Scott is not sawing pine and you find no one else my neighbor saws pine with an old time circular sawmill on the weekend.

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
I am new to forum and am from Greenville, SC...not to far from NC border. I am looking for a source to find circular sawn rough sawn pine (or other wood) that is milled from the old style circular saw mill as opposed to the bandsaw technique. Anybody have any ideas, or know of a source. I would love to give a fellow member some business! Thanks so much in advance!!!! You have a great site here!!

There is a guy in Irmo SC that does pine on an old circular mill at his farm. Only sells green. PM me for contact info and I'll dig it out.

Chris Williams 2975

New User
Chris
Wow!!! What a wealth of information!!! Thank you all so much!! Now I am sitting here with pen a paper in hand starting to make my list of those to contact. Again thank you so much!

As far as the question about why I would prefer this style over the other...it is purely a cosmetic preference for a reproduction of a piece I am working on. This type of milling leaves the circular saw marks in wood when left rough sawn that after sanded a bit add an awesome effect.

Thanks again to all of you and I will begin now trying to search some of these folks for help!!

Have a great day all!!!

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
There is a circle mill in Davidson, NC and in Denver, NC as well as Lincolnton, NC

I will pm you the names and approximate location.

kyle

Chris Williams 2975

New User
Chris
Thanks so much Kyle!! My family is all from around Mooresvile/Troutman/Statesville area so very familiar with the area. Be a good chance to see my grandmother while I'm up that way! Thanks again for everyone's help!!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris, in addition to my circle swing mill mill a friend of mine operates an old Frick 00 model a few miles from my home. His mill is about 100 years old and has a 50" diameter blade, which would probably provide the marks that you're looking for.

I do have some kiln dried pine in stock that was cut with a circle mill - both his and mine - if you need something that was KD. The main problem with air dried pine is that the pitch is not set and it can bleed out onto your projects. I run my kiln up to 160F at the end of the drying cycle for pine to crystalize the pitch.

I'm about 30 miles SW of Raleigh.

Thx.

Scott

Chris Williams 2975

New User
Chris
Great to know Scott. Do you mind shooting me PM with contact information so that I may call you to discuss. I would love to get my hands on some of the pine! Thanks again and I know I keep saying this, but what a great site...such kind people!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hello and welcome!
I think I can fix you up. I'm South of the Asheville Airport and about 2 miles up the river is a sawmill that still uses both circular blade and bandsaw as well. I don't know anywhere that can beat their price or convenience (for me).
They do pine or anything that comes in.
I'll call up there in a bit and make sure nothing's changed in the past couple months.
Drop me a pm if I can help.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
D & D Sawmill, 1722 Orchard Road, Flat Rock, NC, 828-272-0989. A couple of miles off I-26, exit Flat Rock/Upward Road. Google maps will take you right there. Two brothers with a circle mill attempting to make a living in this poor economy. They have green and kiln dried. They always have very good ambrosia red maple. One of them is turner and saves those special pieces! Call before you go, they maybe off-site. There is a local bridge being rebuilt, this may alter your route.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
WoodPecker Sawmill/ National Wood Products
52 Saw Mill Road
Mills River, NC
828-891- 8720
All they do is circle cut. We have gotten wood there several times.
If you need any information let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors