New Member seeking assistance - V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
A few weeks back new NCWW members Tom and Anita Murphy made a post regarding a project that they need help with:

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=569881#poststop

Tom and Anita are turners that would like to make a large door (44" x 8 - 9', give or take) to use on a sliding track in their home. They have some lovely bookmatched black walnut boards, but are well outside of their comfort zone in terms of the tools and expertise required to do a large glue up with wide slabs.

They stopped by the farm today to discuss face jointing their boards, but we discovered their lumber is still up in the 12% range so it needs to go into the kiln for a few days to finish off. After that, due to the existing cupping the wide 5/4 thick planks will need to be ripped down the middle, face jointed and planed, and then glued up into the 44" wide door. I think that they can net something in the 7/8" thick range when complete.

They have two 5/4 thick planks that measure about 16" wide, and two 3/4" planks that are similar (resawn portions from the 8/4 boards that they started with). I think that if they rip the wide, thin boards down the middle, and laminate them together, they can trim the laminated board down to 12" - 14" wide and use it in their door. The bookmatched 5/4 thick boards can be the outer pieces, and the laminated board can form the center.

They are looking for a NCWW member that can help them with the project; someone that has the shop and tooling and willingness to work with them on the project. I am so backed up with milling, drying and other work here at the farm that it is not feasible for me to assist them with the glue up, etc., but I can provide the face jointing and planing services if needed.

Their boards should come out of the kiln towards the end of next week, and I'll store them in my shop so that they don't pick up any additional moisture pending their getting lined out with someone to assist with the completion.

Here are their boards:

attachment.php

This has the potential to be an extraordinarily nice door when they are done (especially when viewed from both sides).

Is anybody willing to volunteer to assist them?

Regards,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpg
    IMG_5308.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 260

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Scott, do I understand this is going to a rail and stile door and a center panel similar to a shaker style? If so as a monolithic mass isnt there a real danger of warpage? If rail and stile I would think there should be at least one cross rail. You know me and willing I am, not sure if I have enuf tooling. I trust your judgement, IF I am "seeing" correctly, Do they have a specific style in mind? If so let me know and I will check my shaper cutters to see if I have one in that style, if not they are not that expensive to be prohibitive.

Math seems a bit ???? a 3/4 center panel into only 5/4 r&s kinda iffy, can do if we mill a smaller thickness tongue on the panels

Jeff

New User
Jeff
As part of our house reno project, we thought it would be cool to build a sliding barn door divider for one of our new rooms. Measurements are approximately 40”X 7’.

I saw their original post and referred them to Scott because he has the right equipment. My impression is that the bookmarked slabs would be solid doors (+/- 1.5") hung on sliding rollers at the top (not hinged). Barn style doors (1@ 40" x 7' or 2@ 20" x 7') but no frame & panel.

That's changed a lot after Scott's assessment so they may rethink their design ideas. Design sketches from them and the rest of us will be useful. BTW, I can help with the sketches but I don't have the facilities or tooling.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, do I understand this is going to a rail and stile door and a center panel similar to a shaker style? If so as a monolithic mass isnt there a real danger of warpage? If rail and stile I would think there should be at least one cross rail. You know me and willing I am, not sure if I have enuf tooling. I trust your judgement, IF I am "seeing" correctly, Do they have a specific style in mind? If so let me know and I will check my shaper cutters to see if I have one in that style, if not they are not that expensive to be prohibitive.

Math seems a bit ???? a 3/4 center panel into only 5/4 r&s kinda iffy, can do if we mill a smaller thickness tongue on the panels

As Jeff mentioned, they are looking for "barn door style", ie a single large glue up such as a desktop would be w/o any frame or panel.

My thought is that the two 3/4" boards can be laminated together to make a 6/4 board, and then joint/plane it down to be the same finished thickness as the 5/4 boards. The entire hanging slab would then be around 7/8" thick.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Ahhhhhhhhhhh hahaha wood it not turn into to a pretzel after a short time? Really think it would. I like laminate idea just a tad differently. use an mdf core and glue up the "panel" with the skins and everybody at same finished dimension

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Barn doors were usually made from individual boards,either 1x flat as in 1x10 etc or t&g planking, with X bracing.

Hmmmmmm t&g no edge break will look mono but because more stress resistant and X braced on back side if not visible? Or use the normal T&G style. Just thunkin

tom.m

Tom
Senior User
Hi Scott:
As new NCWW members, my wife and I thank you for writing your post on our behalf. Visiting your farm and facilities was a great outing, and a real education in working with large, wide lumber. As turners, novice at that, we had little idea of the massive scope of our project. But we're learning. While I describe the finished piece as a door, it might be better to say it will be a large piece of wooden artwork on a sliding rail that will double as a door. The black walnut is bookmatched with a very striking pattern with the sap wood and will be the centerpiece of the room, measuring around 8' X 3 1/2'. I know now that it was not a great idea to cut it down from 8/4 to 5/4, but it was just too heavy for my wife and I to handle. Thanks to the folks who commented in this thread for their comments. My quest to complete the project continues.
Tom & Anita Murphy

Touchwood

New User
Don
Ahhhhhhhhhhh hahaha wood it not turn into to a pretzel after a short time? Really think it would. I like laminate idea just a tad differently. use an mdf core and glue up the "panel" with the skins and everybody at same finished dimension[/QUOTE

If the wood is dry it shouldn't turn into a pretzel when laminated. Here's an example of laminated wood in a project I built a few years ago
https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32764

tom.m

Tom
Senior User
If the wood is dry it shouldn't turn into a pretzel when laminated. Here's an example of laminated wood in a project I built a few years ago

Thanks, Don, for the link to your project. Nice work. It's encouraging that your table has remained stable over several years. Scott Smith is going to run my slab pieces through his kiln, so the moisture level will drop, and hopefully stay, at a good level. Scott is optimistic that warpage will not be an issue once the piece is finished and hung. Fingers crossed.

Touchwood

New User
Don

Thanks, Don, for the link to your project. Nice work. It's encouraging that your table has remained stable over several years. Scott Smith is going to run my slab pieces through his kiln, so the moisture level will drop, and hopefully stay, at a good level. Scott is optimistic that warpage will not be an issue once the piece is finished and hung. Fingers crossed.

Looking back, I completed that table in 2006. I saw it again a year ago and it hasn't budged.

tom.m

Tom
Senior User
Thanks Jeff for your link. There are many options out there in regard to barn door kits. I will probably go for an 8' rail so that the finished piece sits more in the middle of the wall when it's not pushed over to cover the opening. Looks like a good source for our hardware. I'm certain that would more than support the weight of our door. I appreciate the reference.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS