New member says hello to y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
Good Evening. My name is Rich and I live in Arlington, TN (Memphis). I am impressed with this site and look forward to meeting new woodworkers.
My interest lies with making bowls on the scroll saw. I have been doing this for only one year so I am a newbie. I have a used RBI Hawk.
I have seen some beautiful bowls that are made from glued segments. Does anyone have a 'primer' on how to do this.
I would appreciate any help.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Welcome to the site, Rich!

I'm sure you'll find lots of help from the scroll saw experts on this site - unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :nah: I look forward to seeing some of your work!

Chris

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the friendliest woodworking site on the web. We are glad to have you join.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Congrats on finding us and joining!

Im not a "scroller" but.....own a RBI Hawk , the wee one.

I didn't know you can make bowls from a SS.

We need to see some Pics

Post often,

Matt

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome! I bought Carole's book on scrolling the bowls. I have never scrolled anything on an angle, and my drum sander and I are rarely in the same town so I haven't tried them yet. I don't know if there is a primer on segmented bowls. LOML and I laminated several strips of various woods, calculated the number of sections and angles needed and cut the sections to those angles. We alternated the sections with walnut. I know most of the turners who make segmented pieces do this differently, and probably better. But, we did get a nice bowl out of it.

Great to have another scroller on the site. Please post pictures of your bowls.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Rich. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm also not a scroller, but there are several gifted scrollers on this site. A lot of the segmented bowls that you'll see here are turned on a lathe, layer by layer. But I have seen some beautiful scrolled bowls too. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, glad you found us!
This site is an awesome collection of woodworkers and wannabe's like myself.
I'm not a scroller either, but I play one on occasion in the shop.
We've got some incredible talent here so jump in when you can and hang on.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Glad to have you as a part of our sawdust pile Rich. I seem to have become addicted to scroll sawing myself. Although I haven't made any bowls on my scroll saw, preferring fretwork projects instead, I know a small bit about making them. It would seem to me, that if you want to make a segmented bowl, take equal width strips of contrasting lumber and glue them up into a flat, square board. I would think that 2 or more different woods would work. Also, the thickness of the board blank can also vary, but 3/4" is a good thickness to work with. I don't know the exact angle you would need, but a little testing with scrap material should give you the desired angle for the thickness you are working with. Lay out a circle within the blank, then a circle within that one to determine the wall thickness of your bowl. After you cut out the first circular segment of your bowl, use that section, laid upon the now circular blank, to trace the next circular cut line. And thus you proceed to cut circular sections, using the last section as your bowl bottom. The larger your square board stock, the more sections you can cut, thus the deeper the bowl. Turn each section, after you have cut it out, upon the section beneath it, to produce the segmented bowl pattern that appeals to you. When drilling your bowl blank, the drill must be on the same angle as your scroll saw. Be prepared to do a lot of sanding on your bowl blanks, as there will be a lot of ridges, etc. to smooth out. The effort will be worth it. The book Cathy referred to above is, "Wooden Bowls From The Scroll Saw" by Carol Rothman.
Happy sawdusting, and, its absolutely MANDATORY:wwink: you post pictures of your work here.:saw:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Rich!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Great to have you join us.

I look forward to reading some of your posts and seeing pictures of your projects.

Wayne

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Welcome, Rich. We're all very glad to have you! Looking forward to seeing pictures of some of your projects!

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
Welcome! I bought Carole's book on scrolling the bowls. I have never scrolled anything on an angle, and my drum sander and I are rarely in the same town so I haven't tried them yet. I don't know if there is a primer on segmented bowls. LOML and I laminated several strips of various woods, calculated the number of sections and angles needed and cut the sections to those angles. We alternated the sections with walnut. I know most of the turners who make segmented pieces do this differently, and probably better. But, we did get a nice bowl out of it.

Great to have another scroller on the site. Please post pictures of your bowls.

I have Carole's book too. That is what got me interested in scrolling - if that is a word. I post some pics of the bowl's I've made once I figure out how to.

Thanks,

Rich

TNScrollSawRich

New User
ScrollSawRich
[Thanks for the words of encouragement and warm welcome. I have Carol's book. That is what got me hooked on scrolling - if that is a word. I'll post pictures of some of the bowls I have made as soon as I figure out how to.

I'm pretty good at math so I have figured out the angles. I have an excel spreadsheet that is flexible in that you enter the wall thickness, board width and it gives you the angles.

Thanks again,

Rich

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Always great to welcome another scroller. Make sure you post pictures.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Rich. We've got some real talented folks here, their scrolling is amazing. I'm sure you'll fit right in! Jim

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Rich welcome to the ncwoodworker. Glad to have you. Memphis,TN is on my bucket list of places I want to visit.

Kettrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS