New Member... Matthews (Indian Trail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I don't know how I didn't find this site sooner.. I've come across it plenty of times but never really took the time to read through the forums. Looks like there are quite a few folks here around the CLT area. It's always cool to have a good support group when doing something that your not sure if you love or hate...

So about me... I always enjoyed building stuff, taking things apart and not being able to put them back together, getting tunnel vision on a project for weeks or longer just to loose interest halfway through...

I started drumming (mostly hand drums... specifically from West Africa) a few years back and thought why not make my own drum. Without any real woodworking experience I set out to get the basics I'd need to make a drum from a 8"x20" pine log. I got a long drill bit, some walmart chisels, a hand saw and an axe... I think that was it for the first drum. I loved the process and the drum turned out horrible. A year or so later I got really serious about drumming and wanted to build a better drum.. I turned to a more economical and practical method which was to build a drum with staves or slats.. I picked up a 100 dollar table saw from lowes and made my first ashiko drum shell out of poplar... it sucked too, but again I loved the process and learned so much...

Since then I've started my own business (plug) Rhythm House Drums, where I build top notch hand drums as well as import drum shells from various West African countries, specifically Guinea and Mali. The woods I get from over there are beautiful.. a lot of the djembe woods are not available as lumber such as Khadi (hare'), Lenke, Djalla, Dimba.. etc. I'll have photos of most of these woods in my gallery before too long.

Through the business I have been able to build a decent size workshed (still in construction) I've acquired a full size 6" jointer, planer, drill press, DC, 3hp sawstop and tons hand tools and carving tools, welding equipment.... lots of toys. I work full time as a Graphic Designer and am doing this business as hard as I can so that I can switch over to doing it full time in the next few years.

From having the equipment and building drums I've developed a love for wood and woodworking in general. I love the smell of woods and the textures.. padauk dust smells like candy, and will probably kill me faster.... I'm learning Sketchup now so I can put some of my thoughts on "paper" to help me work out my ideas. I have a lot to learn and hope to share some of the process on this forum.

I have one inch discs in my ears turned from Khadi wood. It's my favorite West African wood and my main djembe is carved from Khadi... I have about 200 Rhythm House Drums shirts that I rotate through, so it's rare that you'll see me out and about without sporting my RHD logo.. Say HI!!! :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome, Kevin.
As an instrument maker, you're not alone in Matthews. We have other members here that are luthiers & such. I also stumbled upon a unique young lady this week in Matthews.
While surveying a project for my boss I went into the Hawaiian Ice store at Margaret Wallace & Idlewild (Behind Angelo's and beside Harris Teeter). The proprietor there had dozens of ukuleles on the wall. During the course of my purchase she told me she was the second largest seller of solid body electric ukes in the world. Impressive. She has a workshop set up in the store. Unique. You two should see if you could have a jam-fest. :gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Kevin. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's really cool how you've ended up making drums. I couldn't even dream of trying to make an instrument as everything I build normally wobbles. :gar-La; Anyway, I'm glad that your love for instruments has brought you to woodworking and possibly to a new profession one of these days. Be sure to post often. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome! Your pathway into wwing is very interesting. I haven't heard of many of the woods you mentioned and will be interested in seeing pictures of your drums. Glad you stopped long enough to read some posts and join the group.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Kevin. We're glad to have you and look forward to meeting you. I work in Matthews by Target.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Kevin!:icon_cheers

What an interesting intro story. Your interest in making hand drums intrigues me. I too am looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work.

Plenty of fine folks around here always willing to lend an ear to any woodworking related questions you may have.

Enjoy yourself here.

Wayne

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Hey there Kevin. Welcome to NCWW. This is a great site with TONS of knowledge. As a former percussionist, I have a great respect for anyone who can craft handmade drums. I work in Matthews and would love to come by and check out your shop and drums. Who knows, I might pick a few up and start drumming again. :gar-Bi

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Hey there Kevin. Welcome to NCWW. This is a great site with TONS of knowledge. As a former percussionist, I have a great respect for anyone who can craft handmade drums. I work in Matthews and would love to come by and check out your shop and drums. Who knows, I might pick a few up and start drumming again. :gar-Bi

Warren46

New User
Warren
Kevin,

Welcome to the site. I am relatively new here as well. I live in Weddington near Indian Trail. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.

Warren

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Welcome Kevin, I am in Matthews just up the street from where Kevin saw the cool electric ukes. I'm going to have to check them out too. I too once hit the skins in my day! LOL I hope to meet up with you sometime. I'd love to see your work in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS