New member intro: Music man

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmclain

New User
Mike
I just joined this forum because of my interest in woodworking, specifically in woodturning and woodcarving. I am just getting started with carving, so I will probably have a lot of questions as I get into this.

I retired from Pratt & Whitney in 2005 (training is as Mechanical Engineer, but I worked on jet engine control systems and ultimately became a software guy). I retired because I got tired of working 55 hours a week and getting paid for 40. I started the next week as a contract engineer for Belcan Corp. where I got paid for each hour I worked, so I bought my life back. I have primarily been involved in project engineering and in software logic design. I retired from that job in April of 2013 and immediately moved to Brevard, NC.

I am also a musician, primarily a tuba player, currently playing with the Brevard Community Band during the summer. I love music, but I have also always loved making things with my hands. I got interested in carving because I don't need a big shop space and lots of equipment to do it and it is very freeform and creative.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Mike.

My FIL worked at Pratt & Whitney in East Hartford for many years.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our humble little group Mike, we are glad you found us. There are quite a few members in your neck of the woods, many of them belong to a local group that meet in the Asheville area. For the life of me, I can not remember what they call their group, but some of them will chime in.

You have one of our requirements down, that is gloating and telling us you are retired is a justifiable gloat.:eusa_danc The other is pictures, we love hearing about gloats and pics.. Please do not be shy, feel free to ask any question and join in a conversation.

We love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

mjmclain

New User
Mike
I spent about 6 months in East Hartford back in the 1980's. The rest of my time was in West Palm Beach, FL except for 6 months at Kelly AFB in San Antonio and 6 months at USAF Altitude Test Facility in Tullahoma, TN.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I try to get to Brevard several times a year to visit relatives who live on 276 about 5-6 miles outside of town.

Steve H.

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
Welcome Mike,

I joined the group back in late April and everyone has been very helpful, informative and fun. I know what you mean by wanting a small shop. That is one reason I enjoy traditional woodworking, it does not take up a lot of space and it is relatively quiet. Welcome to the group and happy carving!

-Aaron H.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I spent about 6 months in East Hartford back in the 1980's. The rest of my time was in West Palm Beach, FL except for 6 months at Kelly AFB in San Antonio and 6 months at USAF Altitude Test Facility in Tullahoma, TN.

Very close friend of ours just retired from West Palm. Did you know an admin asst named Elaine (husband Dale)?

George

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi there!

Welcome and have a great time learning and sharing lots of woodworking project pictures and ideas!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS