New member in triangle area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobone

Joe Bone
Senior User
Hello,

i am am fairly new to woodworking and I am drawn in toward it from my love of hand forged Japanese kitchen knives. After looking at too many photos and videos of custom handles, I want to attempt making a few.

i look forward to hearing the expertise here.

Joe

bash

New User
bash
Welcome Joe. You will enjoy this site. A good place to ask advice and get started in about any area of woodworking.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Joe, I have made exactly one knife handle, for an old hunting knife. It's not too difficult. Find some material for the scales, wood, micarta or something else. Assuming the tang is an extension of the blade, trace the tang outline on the scales and roughly cut them to size, leaving some extra for final shaping. Drill holes for the rivets in the tang and the scales so they align. Using epoxy, glue on the scales and insert the rivets with copious amount of glue and clamp. When glue is dry, start shaping using rasps, files and sandpaper. When happy with smoothness, apply finish of your choice and start cutting with your new knife.

Roy G

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Joe, feel free to ask questions, start discussions and share your projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS