New Member in Clayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself! I just relocated to NC last Monday. Just in time to be greeted by my first hurricane. Thankfully it wasn't too bad here, although a decent sized oak uprooted and did quite a number on my fence. I'm sure many to the south had it much worse.

I'm moving from IL, and while a bit melancholy about leaving friends and family there, I think we found a pretty great state to move to.

You'll probably see me mostly lurking and posting in the workshop threads. We were not able to find a home on the market with an existing shop area, so we'll be building a detatched shop on the property.

Thanks all for creating this site and the content, I was quite excited to find this forum!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sean welcome to NC and our sawdust family. Many members in the Clayton area. I am sure you will hook up soon and then you will have many new friends.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome Sean. The good part about building a new shop is you can build it just the way you want it. And please post plenty of pictures from start to finish. We love a good shop build.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Welcome, I'm not too far from Clayton, in Four Oaks. Building a new shop is both exciting and draining! I just finished mine about a year ago and am still tweaking everything inside. Still don't have the layout set.

Anyway, Welcome!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to The Old North State Sean, and to our woodworking community! Some of the best woodworkers in the country reside here and we hear from them regularly. Jump right in and have fun!

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little sawdust pile Sean, glad to have you with us. We do love shop builds please post pics as you go.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Sean, welcome to the greatest sawdust pile, as well as friendliest, on the web!

-Barry

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome to the Neighborhood! Lots of transplants here, myself included, and call it home. There are lots of discussions on shop building, and one currently being built down in the Sandhills(around Pinehurst), Willem has a great shop going in. You'll find lots of info from dust collection to running power and lights. Dont be afraid to ask questions, lots of great knowledge here. If you have the time Friday look for the RDU Friday meetup at lunch. Its usually near one of our great woodworking stores in Cary.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
The good part about building a new shop is you can build it just the way you want it. And please post plenty of pictures from start to finish. We love a good shop build.

I don't know about just the way I want it... that whole budget thing. Still, my wife has been pretty generous in that area. I'll start a new thread in the appropriate sub forum for that once we've emptied a few more boxes, hopefully next week. There will be plenty of pictures as well, even before the first shovel.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
Four Oaks is not far at all! I plan on using sketchup to get a general idea of the layout and to figure out my needed footprint.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean
Welcome to the Neighborhood! Lots of transplants here, myself included, and call it home. There are lots of discussions on shop building, and one currently being built down in the Sandhills(around Pinehurst), Willem has a great shop going in. If you have the time Friday look for the RDU Friday meetup at lunch. Its usually near one of our great woodworking stores in Cary.

Thanks for the heads up on the build, I'll check out the thread for sure. Not sure that I could make that meetup very often as I'll typically be working from the Clayton office, but if I find myself out at the Cary office on a Friday I'll take you up on that.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Sean, from a former Illinois transplant!
We choose South Carolina rather than North Carolina, but every time I travel and come back home, I realize this area cannot be beat!
We are glad you found us - I tell everyone that you get out of NCWW what you put in.
Ask a question get an answer - usually many of them and from experienced people who have done it before. Saving you from making the same mistakes!!!!
Post some pictures - any pictures (withing reason - remember if you would want your Grandma hearing or seeing it - we don't want to either! ha ha) We LOVE pictures especially WIP (work in process) and yes , we know how difficult it is to remember to take them all the way through. (Oh, and don't worry we can turn our head or the computer when the picture doesn't post "upright"!)

Oh and here is another request that you come out to the Klingspor Extravaganza and say hello. You will see a lot of us (we have a booth) and you might be tempted by some of the GREAT deals and demos that are offered.

I have been on many woodworking forums and after I found NCWW, I stopped - what a GREAT group of people here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS