New member in Apex

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Other Chris

Chris
User
Hi Everyone!
I'm a recent transplant to the Apex(ish) area from up in Maryland. I've been building all sorts of things ever since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver and use my wood shop as a hobby to keep what small amount of sanity I have left. Most recently I completed a crib for a buddy of mine's new daughter (below) and have been working on a Jackman Works modular miter saw station to hopefully finally get a bit more organized. I saw Mark's post on Facebook about the cutting gauge workshop and figured I'd join up here as well.

Looking forward to getting to know the folks here and sharing whatever I can based on my own [STRIKE]mistakes[/STRIKE] lessons learned.

Cheers!

-Chris

attachment.php

Attachments

• crib.jpg
    crib.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 215

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Chris. From your post, you already know we like to see pictures of your project, and the crib is nicely done! Jump in and have fun!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Chris, lovely crib, please continue to share.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Not sure which Chris I'm talking to but welcome to NCWW. Nice crib, does it convert to a bed? See you at Phil's.

bash

New User
bash
Welcome Chris. Beautiful crib. I look forward to seeing pictures of more of your work.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Chris! That is a very nice crib, thank you for posting the picture of it.

The Other Chris

Chris
User
Thanks everyone! I have some more pictures of that crib including the build process and my first (failed) attempt at seam bending here - https://imgur.com/a/78fvk. This one was all 5/4 cherry except for the top rails that were 8/4. It was also the first time I tried using powder dye mixed in shellac which turned out exactly like my friends wife wanted it.

This was actually the second crib I've built, first one being for my own daughter. You can take a look at that one here - https://imgur.com/gallery/NHNKJ. Neither of these convert to a bed though in theory the headboard could be used as one for both. Both projects started as a neat idea and quickly turned into a time crunch so the extra functionality got thrown out the window. They both have multiple height settings and meet all the CPSC standards.

If you have any questions about either just let me know!

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Chris, beautiful crib. What part of Maryland, I have family on the Eastern Shore.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome, Chris. There are lots of NCWWer's in Apex and surrounds, please join us at the monthly Friday lunch at MacGregor Draft House, literally 80 feet out Klingspor's front door.

bash

New User
bash
Thanks everyone! I have some more pictures of that crib including the build process and my first (failed) attempt at seam bending here - https://imgur.com/a/78fvk. This one was all 5/4 cherry except for the top rails that were 8/4. It was also the first time I tried using powder dye mixed in shellac which turned out exactly like my friends wife wanted it.

This was actually the second crib I've built, first one being for my own daughter. You can take a look at that one here - https://imgur.com/gallery/NHNKJ. Neither of these convert to a bed though in theory the headboard could be used as one for both. Both projects started as a neat idea and quickly turned into a time crunch so the extra functionality got thrown out the window. They both have multiple height settings and meet all the CPSC standards.

If you have any questions about either just let me know!

Thanks for the build process pictures. Always interesting to look at. I may call you if I ever need to borrow more clamps. ;)

The Other Chris

Chris
User
Welcome to the forum Chris, beautiful crib. What part of Maryland, I have family on the Eastern Shore.

About an hour from Baltimore up in Caroll County. I've got two guys that work form me outside of the Salisbury area. It's super nice down (or up now, I guess) there. If you're ever in Cambridge check out Rock Lobstah, their lobster rolls are amazing...

Welcome, Chris. There are lots of NCWWer's in Apex and surrounds, please join us at the monthly Friday lunch at MacGregor Draft House, literally 80 feet out Klingspor's front door.

That sounds great. What time do you normally meet up?

Thanks for the build process pictures. Always interesting to look at. I may call you if I ever need to borrow more clamps. ;)

You can never have too many clamps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS