New Member from Hendersonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I was quite pleased :) when I found this site while looking for some woodworking information -- I retired in January 2003 and moved to Hendersonville early last year and have been building my first really good woodworking shop -- enough years were spent in half a garage in Durham and years before in smaller quarters! Now I have nearly 900 sf of unfinished basement with dry crawl space under it (guess where my DC is!). I'm pretty well equipped with a good 10" cabinet saw, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12" planer, drill press, router table with Jointech cabinetmakers fence, a small lathe, plus plenty of hand tools. Just finished a built-in TV/Display cabinet for friends made of birch plywood (carcase) and solid birch (raised panel doors and face frames).

Found Gennett Lumber in Asheville this year and have several hundred BF of cherry drying from last year's visit by Ivan the terrible...

Looking forward to meeting others on the site and sharing ideas.

I also enjoy golf (just spent 6 days in Myrtle Beach playing in 80 degree weather :cool:, but then somebody had to do it) and travel.

Rob aka McRabbet

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
hi, welcome to the site. i think there are several members in western nc. we're all looking forward to pictures of your new shop.

phillip

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. From the sound of it, you are going to have a great shop! Many here will be jealous, I know I am. Be sure you check out the gallery, and be sure you post your dot on the NCWoodworking map site here

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Rob aka McRabbet, it sounds like you are set tool wise, I am jealous. I look forward to you input around here, and hopefully of pictures of your work. As you know, no pics, it didn't happen, plus I learn better visually. Glad to have you here. Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the group! DH and I live in Forest City. He does all kinds of wood working. I do some scroll saw work and am learning to use a lathe. There are a couple of folks even closer to you too. Where is the lumber place in Asheville and what kind of wood do they carry? Glad to have you on the boards.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Welcome, I'm right up the road in Horse Shoe. Your shop sounds great and like the others, I'm anxious to see pictures.

Steve D

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Rob! Can't figure out why you would move from Durham to Hendersonville :lol: Are you folks starting a woodworking guild there?

I grew up not too far away and visited many times--it's a beautiful area and loaded with lots of "crafty" folk.

Sapwood

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Welcome. I just got back from the doctors, so I can't think of anything funny or meaningful to say. So, Welcome:eusa_clap

M

McRabbet

:saw: The lumber supplier is Gennett Lumber, 284 Lyman Street, Asheville (Ph: 828-253-3626). They have a broad selection of soft- and hardwoods and many varieties and grades of hardwood plywoods, including Baltic Birch. I bought 4/4 FAS birch at $3/BF and 8/4 FAS Ash at $2.75/BF. I've also purchased birch plywood (shop grade) from the Round-Up Store in Shelby, but sadly, HH & NK Hardwoods in Kings Mountain is gone. Anyone know if they just moved? Rob

cskipper said:
Welcome to the group! DH and I live in Forest City. He does all kinds of wood working. I do some scroll saw work and am learning to use a lathe. There are a couple of folks even closer to you too. Where is the lumber place in Asheville and what kind of wood do they carry? Glad to have you on the boards.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Welcome. I'm over in Hickory, not too far away.

Maybe we can get to gether sometime for some golf and wwing talk. I used to be a scratch golfer before this hobby grabbed me. :)

Again welcome.

John

McRabbet said:
I was quite pleased :) when I found this site while looking for some woodworking information -- I retired in January 2003 and moved to Hendersonville early last year and have been building my first really good woodworking shop -- enough years were spent in half a garage in Durham and years before in smaller quarters! Now I have nearly 900 sf of unfinished basement with dry crawl space under it (guess where my DC is!). I'm pretty well equipped with a good 10" cabinet saw, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12" planer, drill press, router table with Jointech cabinetmakers fence, a small lathe, plus plenty of hand tools. Just finished a built-in TV/Display cabinet for friends made of birch plywood (carcase) and solid birch (raised panel doors and face frames).

Found Gennett Lumber in Asheville this year and have several hundred BF of cherry drying from last year's visit by Ivan the terrible...

Looking forward to meeting others on the site and sharing ideas.

I also enjoy golf (just spent 6 days in Myrtle Beach playing in 80 degree weather :cool:, but then somebody had to do it) and travel.

Rob aka McRabbet

M

McRabbet

I just looked at your website and you've got a very impressive shop. As for my golf game, I love playing, but have never quite made it into single digits (I'm currently a 14). 'Cause I'm retired, I get to play any day I want, but available funds usually limit that to 1-2 time a week except for trips like last week.

woodguy1975 said:
Welcome. I'm over in Hickory, not too far away.

Maybe we can get to gether sometime for some golf and wwing talk. I used to be a scratch golfer before this hobby grabbed me. :)

Again welcome.

John

Attachments

• golfer-look.jpg
    golfer-look.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors