New member from Fayetteville

JamesJackson

New User
Jamie
Hello guys and gals!

I am a new member here and a new wood worker... I come from a family with a little background in woodworking and I guess it took 52 years to catch a hold of me!

My uncle was a professional cabinet maker back in the 50s through late 80s... When Uncle Thomas made cabinets they were made out of real wood, measured onsite, then made in the shop and or on site. He always impressed me with his skills. My father is a jack of all trades... Farmer, Electrician, Plumber, Certified Welder, etc.. he worked for R J Reynolds and they send him to school a lot so he got on the job training.. When my uncle passed away, my day got most of this shop and equipment. Dad didn't touch it for years until he retired and then he built a 40 x 60 shop top tinker in..

He has since gotten older and don't go into the shop as much and my mom has dementia so that keeps him busy at the house. About a month ago he fell and needed some help around the house until he was able to get out and about so I quit my corporate job and partially moved home to help out. During the day, I would often find myself in the wood shop messing around and then my dad asked me if I was the next woodworker in the family.. I laughed since it had been years since my high school wood shop class and the most I had ever done in this shop was a picture frame.

I gave it thought and with mom being 89 and dad being 86 I thought it was a good time to get out of corporate life and try to spend as much time as I could with my folks... so now I am the very newest of all wood workers, learning a trade through dad and YouTube.

The shop is well equipped and dad has a barn full of wood that has been dried and waiting for a wood worker.. Maple, Black Walnut, Oak, Popular, Red cedar and bunch I don't even know the names of..

I am glad I stumbled across this forum, I am old school and I have always learned a lot in forums and online, so I am looking forward to chatting and meeting you all. Bear with me though, I am green as a freshly cut pine tree right now.. lol

James

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
Welcome aboard. I too recently joined and have found this group to be very knowledgeable and kind when asked for help or opinions.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard James . Great story. Lots of knowledge in our membership.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum. You can learn a lot here.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Another Welcome to James. I too, am in Fayetteville, so maybe we can get together one day.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome You will find this a great group of people here in our lil' 'ol spot on the web

JamesJackson

New User
Jamie
Hey and thanks for the welcome!! I am glad to be here as well, I have been reading over and lurking the forums and there is a great deal of information here.

I am sure I will be knee deep in questions as I go.. I have made some flags like you see on facebook and some really nice cutting boards.. I wish there was a market for cutting boards, I have enjoyed making them.

My first 'big' project for me will be a book case.

Bookcase.jpg

I have found a set of plans online and this would go well in my house, so I am going to dive in.

Thanks again for the welcome!!

James

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS