New Member from Acworth, Georgia

rvhughes

New User
Bob
Hi. My name is Bob Hughes. I am a home hobbyist woodworker, self-taught (except expert instruction from Norm Abrams on TV). I am a veteran of the US Navy (9 yrs) and active in my local American Legion Post 304. I am also the captain of a veterans Honor Guard team. We augment the service branches Military Funeral Honors teams, performing rifle salutes mostly at interment services at Georgia National Cemetery in Canton, GA. I am very interested in providing urns/casks for the cremains of our veterans. I ran across your Urns for Veterans Project and would like to get engaged with someone from this team in figuring out how to replicate or expand the program into the state of Georgia. You all are doing great work and I am happy to be a new member of this group. my user name is "rvhughes" for this site.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob, welcome to NCWW, and thank you for your service and continuing to serve our military heroes. Bruce Swanson (sawman101) is one of our points of contact for the urn project. Skymaster, Jackleg, and Raymond are also vital to the project, along with many others that I cannot recall the names of at the moment. One of them will most likely be reaching out to you for your questions.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Bob. You have come to the right website. I will reach out to you via PM concerning the Burial Urns and will copy the other team members on that PM.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Bob. Glad you found us and glad to have another veteran. We all appreciate your service.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome aboard Bob! ​Happy to share any info you may need concerning urns. Raymond is a good source.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Bob! I am also a Navy veteran serving in Vietnam, and now am a disabled vet. I am the Chaplain of Post 48, Hickory, NC and serve on the Honor Guard. I am happy you've found us. I originally started the Burial Urn For Veterans Project here in NC. After burying my brothers cremains in Salisbury National Veterans Cemetery, in a cardboard box, the project was born. Basically the guidelines are we will provide a quality wooden burial urn, with a 3" diameter medallion with the symbol of the veterans branch of service, if he or she is to be interred in a National or State Veterans Cemetery in the State of NC, or Arlington National Veterans Cemetery. The urns are made to a certain size to meet the requirements of all the cemeteries. The lumber used is donated, and we currently have one of our members who will dedicate his shop for a few days to cut and pack all the components, which are then assembled by NCWW members. I could get into it deeper if you want more information. Thank you for your interest, and I wish you the best in starting this noble effort in Georgia!

Lhloy

New User
Larry
Hello Bob, welcome, and kudos for your service. Just a bit of trivia ... I lived in Cartersville, Ga for 9 years before I moved to the triangle, so I know a bit about Acworth. Love those north Ga mountains. But that was a long time ago. Happy sawdust.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Bob, welcome to NCWW, and thank you for your service and as well as the continued commitment to our veterans.

rvhughes

New User
Bob
Thank you, Bruce. I'd like to discuss the Urn project with you on the phone since there are too many questions and variables to discuss in the forum effectively. I can send you my cell number if you wish to talk. Thank you for your service as well.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome too our little spot on the web Bob, glad to have you with us. Now, I would have swore that I posted a welcome the other day when I read this thread, but :dontknow:. There are plenty of good people here as well as some of us ole NAVY folks. There is always someone willing to lend a hand or share some knowlege, so please feel free to join a conversation or as any question.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS