New member and woodworker from Charlotte area

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

New User
KO
Hello everyone, I am a newbie weekend woodworker and I just stumbled on this site when searching for local lumber sources. I have been to Woodcraft (45-minute drive) just to check it out and saw they had wood but didn't know what to compare that to. I went to B E Kluttz Lumber Co. and they are really nice but again didn't know what to compare to. I drove by Hoke Lumber in Davidson one day but they were closed so no idea what they sell. I see a lot of people talking about Rick fro The Woodworking Source in Mooresville, i will have to check him out.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Kevin, you'll enjoy it here. Some really good folks here.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Welcome! I live on the eastern border of Mecklenburg near Harrisburg, and grew up in Cornelius.

I've been meaning to go to Kluttz, but the one time I went they were closed for a company holiday event. Since they're not open on the weekend, it's hard for me to get there. I don't think Hoke sells hardwood since they're mostly selling for construction & decking, but you could always ask. I've heard many many good things about Rick at The Woodworking Source so definitely check him out. Woodcraft can be pricey for wood (and I go there all the time since it's near my work). A note about the wood supplier list Raymond posted - Kyle Edwards in Iron Station has retired and no longer sells to the public. (Bummer, since he was my go-to for hardwood and had really great prices). West Penn near Hickory is definitely worth the drive. They're not the cheapest, but the sheer volume and variety is amazing. And you can stop by Klingspor (a major sponsor of this site) while you're in the area.

Hopefully we can organize another Charlotte area meetup soon. There's also the annual Mid Winters Blah Picnic in Shelby in late February (see this thread).

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Kevin! You will always get fair prices on everything Rick sells at the Wood Source; be sure and check him out. Rick is a really great guy to know and be sure to tell him NCWW sent you!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Welcome to the forum Kevin. Rick is worth the drive from Huntersville. He is a little ways off of exit 36. I will be headed there in the not so distant future.

Red

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW, Kevin. Has anyone told you that RIck Dinardo at The Woodworking Source will do you right? :rolleyes:

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum Kevin, many members found us the same way, feel free to ask questions, start discussions and share your projects.

KevinO

New User
KO
Welcome! I live on the eastern border of Mecklenburg near Harrisburg, and grew up in Cornelius.

I've been meaning to go to Kluttz, but the one time I went they were closed for a company holiday event. Since they're not open on the weekend, it's hard for me to get there. I don't think Hoke sells hardwood since they're mostly selling for construction & decking, but you could always ask. I've heard many many good things about Rick at The Woodworking Source so definitely check him out. Woodcraft can be pricey for wood (and I go there all the time since it's near my work). A note about the wood supplier list Raymond posted - Kyle Edwards in Iron Station has retired and no longer sells to the public. (Bummer, since he was my go-to for hardwood and had really great prices). West Penn near Hickory is definitely worth the drive. They're not the cheapest, but the sheer volume and variety is amazing. And you can stop by Klingspor (a major sponsor of this site) while you're in the area.

Hopefully we can organize another Charlotte area meetup soon. There's also the annual Mid Winters Blah Picnic in Shelby in late February (see this thread).

Klutz is pretty close to me. He has a mill/shop and is worth the look. He gave me his card and told me if I needing anything on a Saturday or evening and he was around we could meet. He said he is there most evenings and Saturdays. I think I will check out Rick at The Woodworking Source soon.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Welcome aboard, Kevin. I think you'll like it here. Lots of great folks. Between the bunch of us there are few problems we can't come up with an answer to. OK! The origin of the universe may be out of our league, but we've got most everything else covered.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS