New Marquetry Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks,

I'm furthering my woodworking journey with some attempts at marquetry. This is a small table I designed I call the rotor table (the shape is that of the rotor in the Wankel rotory engine). This was also my 1st attempt at the "natural" carved edge. This little beast was a little more complicated than I expected as the aprons are laminated and the tenon is cut at a compound angle to fit the legs. The legs themselves are tapered into a diamond pattern (that was interesting). The top is baltic birch with solid 1 1/2" European beech glued and doweled to the ply (so I could carve them) Then I applied Euro Beech veneer to the top and bottom after cutting in the leaf design. The finish is Target Coatings lacquer.

rotor_table_019_Medium_.jpg

View image in gallery

Here's a little better detail shot of the top:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow - crisp details, great color, and the 'shadow' in the marquetry really makes it 3D. Outstanding work. I'd be quite happy to have accomplished the table without the marquetry, but that top really sets it off! Well done.

Henry

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Absolutely stunning, Mike. Having you given any more thought to going pro, or attending one of the woodworking schools? I think you're ready.

Bill

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Bill-

This one is actually for sale at the Grovewood Gallery-so I'm working more toward the "pro" side of things, but I'm certainly still considering woodworking schools. I've visited Red Rocks CC school of woodworking and also The Redwood College of Woodworking. Looking to visit Haywood CC this year and maybe 1 or 2 others. So, I'm testing the waters on all fronts:)

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Michael,
As usual with your artistry, A gorgeous piece of furniture. I would love to see that one in person, Is it time for some 'shine? I would really like to come down some weekend and watch your process in a live setting or maybe get you to hold some educational gathering at Rick's.
Simply put ,that table is topnotch. I like everything about it.
Greg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Remarkable work.

Love the 3D effect. Wonderful craftsmanship!

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mike,

Having seen this in person, I can say with certainty that the photos don't do it justice, even though the photos look outstanding. ;) The mix of materials, textures, technique, and craftsmanship come together to result in a fine piece of work.

Matt

cskipper

Cathy
I think that's amazing! I'd ask how do you do that, but your skill level is sooo far beyond mine that I'll merely enjoy the photo's!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very cool!
The pictures show the color much better than the ones you sent me.
Nice job on the carving as well as the marquetry.

pete
Still waiting to see the Murphy bed done !!!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a student or teacher? :icon_thum

Bill-

This one is actually for sale at the Grovewood Gallery-so I'm working more toward the "pro" side of things, but I'm certainly still considering woodworking schools. I've visited Red Rocks CC school of woodworking and also The Redwood College of Woodworking. Looking to visit Haywood CC this year and maybe 1 or 2 others. So, I'm testing the waters on all fronts:)

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Yeah, that's super awesome. The carving looks so even, the transitions between the black sides and top look really crisp, and the leaf & shadow is really cool too. Nice work Mike:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS