New leader, burial project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I am very happy to announce that Raymond has stepped forward, and offered to head up the BURIAL URNS FOR VETERANS PROJECT. I am also very thankful to him for lifting this burden from my shoulders, at a time when I suddenly find myself facing many challenges. I will still be here, helping a much as I can,and watch with great pride, as NCWW members continue to make this great and worthy work grow.
I also suggest we change the guidelines, to allow us to be more flexible, as to whom receives burial urns.
Now I will,stand down, as Raymond takes the reins. God bless each and everyone of you, for what you have done for our veterans. There is no other project as encompassing in any state, as this one is.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you, Bruce. I will do my best to ensure that our efforts to date continue to support our veterans. Again, thank you, Bruce, for your beginning this program and having the faith in my abilities to carry on.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Would it be possible to get a short synopsis of this program?

Chris, this program started in January 2015 with sawman101, skymaster, Vetteman9956, and many others got involved by March of last year. The direction of the program is to provide a burial urn for the veteran's cremains to either his/her family or to the cemetary for internment, rather than the cartons or bags they were using. We have a lot of urns prepared (not too sure how many) - the majority are flat-packed in boxes that are in storage at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop.

My next steps as project leader are as follows: 1) Get an inventory of how many urns we have on hand and where they are all located; 2) How many are flat-packed and how many are assembled; 3) Make arrangements for all of the urns to be collected at one or two location(s); 4) Take stock of how much raw material we still have that has not been used in making the urns; Lastly. I will advise all of our members on the current status of the logistics of the program as to where it stands.

Once I have an idea of the logistics of the project, I will concentrate on contacting the various veteran support groups within NC and presenting them with information concerning what we have done and solicit their help in communicating this to the veterans and their family members. The biggest challenge will be getting the word spread through-out the various agencies offices within NC, from the headquarters down to the local posts in each town, city and village.

If you wish to read up on the history of all actions to date - do a search on the word urn, urns and burial you can read all of the actions that have taken place since the beginning.

thsb

New User
Tim
please keep us informed about any needs that come up. thanks for being willing to take over and thanks to Bruce for doing it before.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

Bruce, first of all, "Thank You" for all you've done for this project. You've begun a noble work.

Raymond, thanks to you for taking the reins going forward. I'm still happy to help in the capacity I'm able.

:notworthy:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I would like to make one suggestion concerning this project. When and if we begin to make more urns, let's "re-engineer" the current design specs and dimensions so that they can be made from smaller sizes of lumber. The 12" boards currently required to make the tops can be a bit difficult to obtain. If we could move toward a slightly "rectangular" shaped box that could be built out of 8" boards, I think we'd be doing ourselves a favor.

Just my 2CW and I hope skymaster and others will weigh in here.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I would like to make one suggestion concerning this project. When and if we begin to make more urns, let's "re-engineer" the current design specs and dimensions so that they can be made from smaller sizes of lumber. The 12" boards currently required to make the tops can be a bit difficult to obtain. If we could move toward a slightly "rectangular" shaped box that could be built out of 8" boards, I think we'd be doing ourselves a favor.

The original dimensions were arrived at, because those dimensions would allow either the cardboard box, or plastic case, used by many mortuaries, would easily accommodated In the urn. They are over built. The creamains can be removed from either container, as they are in a plastic bag, and be transferred to the urn, which could be much smaller. When first arriving at these specs, we had an ample supply of 12" wide lumber. Previously, the tops were smaller than the bottoms for appearance sake. Simply an explanation as to why.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

Weigh in

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Bruce you chose a fine person to head up this project. I have no doubt Raymond will make you proud

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When Bruce (sawman101) and I met with the cemetery directors we were told that the cemetery personnel would not open the the cremains boxes that came from the crematories. If that had to be done, both the urn and the cremains would have to be returned to the mortuary for the transfer. To avoid this, I managed to get samples of the cremains boxes and the dimensions for our urns were adjusted to allow either cremains box to fit without the need to open them. The directors have agreed to have the cemetery workers insert the cremains boxes inside the urns and attach the service emblem at the time that the urn is needed, but only if the cremains box will easily fit inside the urns.

Charley

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce this will always be your project. You gave it birth. I SALUTE you.:eusa_clap

Raymond U-R_DA- MAN. Thank you taking this on. If I can be of any help please let me know.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Bruce this will always be your project. You gave it birth. I SALUTE you.:eusa_clap

Raymond U-R_DA- MAN. Thank you taking this on. If I can be of any help please let me know.

I am honored by your words Scott. You are a great friend indeed! God bless.

mayszs

New User
Zack
I'm an 8 year veteran of the Marine Crops and work on Camp Lejeune on a regular basis so when the time comes to getting the word out let me know and I'll go to Mortuary Affairs and spread the word.
I also have contacts at several of the senior commands, work with 3 retired Navy Chiefs and have occasional contact with several former Rangers and Special Forces guys so I can get the word out that way as well.

I haven't seen the design but this is something I'd gladly donate wide board lumber to.
let me know what thicknesses are needed in what species and I'll work on putting some together.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I'm an 8 year veteran of the Marine Crops and work on Camp Lejeune on a regular basis so when the time comes to getting the word out let me know and I'll go to Mortuary Affairs and spread the word.
I also have contacts at several of the senior commands, work with 3 retired Navy Chiefs and have occasional contact with several former Rangers and Special Forces guys so I can get the word out that way as well.

I haven't seen the design but this is something I'd gladly donate wide board lumber to.
let me know what thicknesses are needed in what species and I'll work on putting some together.

The design is saved on the forum as a printable pdf
SEMPER FI

Skymaster

New User
Jack
The issue is the top and bottom being 12" wide. All previous one I built were glue ups sides were eez single pcs. if more are needed and you want to get together be glad to run thru the drill. I am in zebulon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS