New lathe

medic

New User
john
Just picked up a new lathe this weekend and need to build a stand it . What is or how do you figure out the height to make it. Also would like to put casters on so I can move it around (good /bad idea ) any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated since the last time i played with a lathe was my grandfather's and that was before or after Noahs ark,

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most people recommend that the when you stand at the lathe your arms should make a 90 degree at the spindle. Make sense?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Lathes tend to vibrate a lot, especially when you first start on an out-of-round piece of wood. I built mine w/ a false bottom that holds 100# of sand to absorb the vibration. Personally, I wouldn't put it on wheels because of the vibration issue. You might be chasing it around the shop. Others may have better advice regarding wheels. If you Google "lathe stand plans" you'll find lots of ideas.

awldune

Sam
User
For any stand decisions, it would help to know what lathe you got and what you intend to turn on it. For a mini lathe you will mostly turn pens on, a rolling stand should be fine. If your lathe has a 16'' swing and you want to turn bowls, casters would be a complete disaster.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Pictures! We want to see a picture of your new lathe! We love pictures, and a picture of your lathe would help greatly in recommendations.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mine is on casters and very sturdy. Have never had the "walking lathe" problem

medic

New User
john
Got a rikon 70-220VSR at an estate sale for $300 in the box, sounded like a good deal. I don't know how to post a picture ( old school ,paper and pencil) need to find someone to show me how to use it and what tools i will need to get. Tks to everyone for your suggestions

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors