New Lathe Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Hi,

One thing I've never tried in my woodworking experience is turning something on a lathe. I have no idea if I'd like it, but I'd like to test the waters. Do any of you have any recommendations for a good but not terribly expensive lathe for a beginner? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year wishes to all!

Alex

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You are welcome to come to my shop and play with one but I am a good ways away.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, we call it the Goodwill Lathe and it is about time to move it on to the next person on the list.

But, there is a waiting list and I'm not sure how many are on it or who is next.

I'll check with the Board and see who is organizing that now.

Meanwhile there are probably other turners in your area of the State who might invite you to try their lathe.

Try to test as many as possible and get instruction from at least a few different turners
as each may enjoy a certain specialty, possibly a different interest from your own.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I started on a Rikon 70-100 midi lathe, and it's a great starter lathe. Didn't have variable speed, but changing belts isn't too much of a pain (though now that I have a variable speed lathe, it is very nice!). I've turned a lot of pens and bowls on mine before recently upgrading to a full size lathe.

The NCWW goodwill lathe is an excellent option as well if you want to wait your turn.

There's also a Rikon 70-100 in the classifieds (not mine) for $450 that includes a SuperNova2 chuck (about $160 new + $20 insert), and he's 30ish minutes from Cary. https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/classifieds.php?do=viewitem&itemid=2788

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Alex I am in Clayton Alex if that helps you....I have a MIDI lathe

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Hi,

One thing I've never tried in my woodworking experience is turning something on a lathe. I have no idea if I'd like it, but I'd like to test the waters. Do any of you have any recommendations for a good but not terribly expensive lathe for a beginner? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year wishes to all!

Alex

Alex, we have a turners club meeting once a month in Pinehurst. It's a show and tell, followed by a turning demo. We meet on the first Tuesday each month at 6:30 PM. May be a good place to visit and explore your apetite.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Alex, check out the Woodturners Guild. They're in Raleigh. Also, stop by Klingspors to check out their lathes and classes.

Roy G

JonB

Jon
User
The Chapel Hill woodturning club has open turning on Fridays & Saturdays for a minimal fee. They have lathes and tools you can use and you can purchase wood from them. There is always an experienced turner available and they also run classes. This would be the best way to get a taste of woodturning for a beginner before you spend any real money. Woodturning is often called the "vortex", it's very addictive and "not terribly expensive" goes away in a hurry, the lathe is the cheapest part. I, along with many others, began as a flat work woodworker...I now turn almost exclusively.
Here's a link for the Chapel Hill club: https://sites.google.com/site/chapelhillwoodturners/home

Alex Stokes

New User
Alex
Mike, Dirk, Willem, Roy, Jon - many thanks! As usual great help and recommendations. I think I'll run over to Klingspors and the Chapel Hill club and check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS