New Lathe, New Chisel - tear out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
So almost my first time turning an hour ago. Thanks to a friend I found through this site I've been able to play on his a few times, but it's different when you're alone and just got the thing set up, and you're toughing it out even though its 30 deg. in the shop...

Anyhow, Overall good experience. I had a scrap of black walnut, 1x1x14 or so.. (cut from a board). I got talked into the EWT chisels, and I'm pretty happy with them so far (20 min. of use), however I have nothing to compare to. I'm sure my issue is either my technique or the wood I was using, but I have lots of tear-out. RPMS were around 2000, the black walnut was kiln dried...maybe it's just not a good wood to use, or maybe with a different grain orientation? I guess I was hoping for a super smooth first time spindle, and I got a roughed-up, groovy drum stick.

Any ideas? I'm sure a photo would help... maybe

timf67

New User
Tim
Which EWT are you using? I find that the CI-1 with the R2 insert gives me the best results on spindle work. Remember that carbide will never be as sharp as a freshly sharpened HSS tool, the trade-off is that you get longer life from the carbide. Also, what type of lathe are you using? Did you check the alignment of the tailstock with the headstock?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It's technique. It will take some practice and maybe a few pointers from a friend standing there watching you work. In time you will make a mirror polished spindle off the tool.

Keep trying! :icon_thum

eyekode

New User
Salem
Walnut is usually very well behaved for me. That doesn't mean you can cut "up hill". When turning spindle orientation always cut from large to small diameter to avoid tear out. Also the angle you present the cutting edge matters. A skew cut will always be cleanest. I haven't used the carbide tools. With normal chisels you want to rub the bevel before the edge contacts. Chisel touches tool rest, bevel touches wood, edge cuts. In that order!

Your best bet is getting someone to give you hands on instruction. Nothing beats it.

PS: thanks to those who helped me!!!
Salem

MikeH

New User
Mike
Walnut is usually well behaved. My guess is you were probably a little too agressive with your cuts. Take lighter cuts and try to feel the chisel in your hands and against the wood. I also go by sound. A clean cut has a distinct sounds and so does a heavy cut. It will take a little getting used to and you have to learn to be patient when turning. The more patient you are the better your work will turn out.

Do you have pics of what you turned?

alachua1947

New User
Donald
I use EWT tools and they are very good.
You may have the tool rest too far away from the work.
Make sure to folow EWTs suggestion about the tool being level to the floor and flat on the tool rest.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Light cuts is what you want. The lighter the better. Your finishing cuts should look like fine sawdust.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
Thanks for the feedback. I do believe my technique was the culprit... I didn't know about the big to small cuts. :) That made a big difference.
378157_2659104950334_1037210802_4901699_93206954_n.jpg

I had to do a mini drum :) It's about 1.625" tall. finished with walnut shavings rubbed in and then some beeswax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS