New Laguna 12" Jointer - Motor to be installed in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

ja714

New User
ja714
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Laguna 5HP 12" jointer and am being told it will ship after they install the motor in California. That seems a bit odd, is that normal? I am a little worried they will ship a unit that has previously been returned. Has anyone been in this situation or ordered this jointer? Thanks for any advice.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Laguna 5HP 12" jointer and am being told it will ship after they install the motor in California. That seems a bit odd, is that normal? I am a little worried they will ship a unit that has previously been returned. Has anyone been in this situation or ordered this jointer? Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like it's a model that uses the same body but different motors depending on what is ordered. Since 5HP may not be a common size, they wait until order then finalize install of the correct motor and then ship.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
Im not sure if this holds water or not, but Laguna I think started or still is more in the business of importing European tools than manufacturing their own. If that's so the likely heaviest part (maybe aside from the beds) is the motor so if they want to cut down on shipping costs then the motor is the easiest part to take off. They also could have gotten a better deal on motors in this part of the world, and they are the easiest part to source since you make a machine usually with a stock motor in mind not have a motor made special for your purpose. Like I said there could be some holes in this hypothesis.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most of Europe uses 220, 50 hertz power. We use 220, 60 hertz power, so their motor doesn't work well on our power.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Laguna started using American made motors in some of their machinery several years ago. My LT18 purchased in 2001 has an Italian motor, but it is still going strong. That is the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS