New Keepsake Box

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I just finished a new keepsake box for consignment. It's made of Claro walnut with grain match, and the top is qtr sawn spalted sycamore. I lined it with black cherry and Burgandy leatherette. The tray is also cherry w/a leatherette bottom. Sanded to 600 grit and finished with Odie's Dark oil.

Attachments

• Sycamore 1.JPG
    Sycamore 1.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Sycamore 2.JPG
    Sycamore 2.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Sycamore 3.JPG
    Sycamore 3.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Sycamore 4.JPG
    Sycamore 4.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 154

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gorgeous!

What material are the splines made from?

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
I just finished a new keepsake box for consignment. It's made of Claro walnut with grain match, and the top is qtr sawn spalted sycamore. I lined it with black cherry and Burgandy leatherette. The tray is also cherry w/a leatherette bottom. Sanded to 600 grit and finished with Odie's Dark oil.
Very nice work. I really like the latch you used. Where did you find that?

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ebay, a six pack is $13/+ s&h.

Dan, @dancam are these latches hollow brass or solid or simply plated steel?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hank, not sure of the metal. Positively not solid brass at that price. I'm assuming "pot metal" with brass plate. They are not flimsy and hold well. They have a spring sleeve with w/a ball bearing in the lower half that secures the hasp. Overall I'm delighted with them.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, not sure of the metal. Positively not solid brass at that price. I'm assuming "pot metal" with brass plate. They are not flimsy and hold well. They have a spring sleeve with w/a ball bearing in the lower half that secures the hasp. Overall I'm delighted with them.
"Positively not solid brass at that price" that is what I was thinking, but if they are hollow or stamped, I figured they would feel flimsy... but glad you "guinea pigged" for us! LOL

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS