Status
Not open for further replies.

MomNextDoor

New User
Mom
Apologies if this is posted twice, not sure what I'm doing.

I found this site while looking for a wooden baby rattle to purchase. (Still haven't found).

I recently bought a jigsaw to do a little scroll piece for a simple window seat I made. While it was really fun, I'm still afraid of machinery that can unattach the appendages I've grown attached to :eusa_hand so am happy to leave such things to you all, and will probably just lurk and learn here.

I'd also be interested in doing a little bartering, if that's allowed. Things I can do/trade:

- I have an acre lot here in Raleigh with Spanish, red and other oaks, ironwood/hornbeam, poplar, etc that someone might be interested in using.
- I also have a few small pieces of real American chesnut, from the old fence rails on the Blue Ridge Parkway, where I was a ranger (I was at Mabry Mill)
- I can do chair bottoming (different from caning) and have done this as classes/demos
- I have my own spinning wheel (handmade 100+ wheels ago) although not that good yet, and can knit simple scarves and things (I've knitted a scarf from my dog's fur--an old traditional craft.)
- I can do rag-rug braiding and hooking
- I hand-stitch quilts, curtains, placemats, doll clothes etc.
- I thoroughly research and hand-stitch historic costumes for re-enactors, historic sites and yes, Halloween. Maybe someone who does woodworking demostrations at festivals and fairs would like something period-appropriate.
- I can write and give presentations on just about anything but esp. NC revolutionary war period history, costuming, any environmental topic, national parks, advocacy
- I've been a professional fundraiser and event organizer, too--not sure if this group does such things.

I look forward to learning from you all.

"Mom" in Raleigh

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hello, and welcome to the site. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap You know how to do a lot of things that I don't have the first clue about. :swoon: It's great that you could join us and I definitely look forward to seeing some of your work. :icon_thum

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Howdy there and welcome to the crowd.That jigsaw was just the beginning,wait until you get ahold of a scroll saw and then you're hooked.
Tony

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome, you seem to be well versed in traditional fibercrafts. My younger daughter knits and spins also, fascinating stuff ! :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Mom....sound like there is not much you can't do. I am sure you will fit right in.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I can turn a baby rattle and I need a period costume... we need to talk :gar-Bi. Welcome to the site!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Howdy there and welcome to the crowd.That jigsaw was just the beginning,wait until you get ahold of a scroll saw and then you're hooked.
Tony

Welcome Mom glad to have you with us - I agree with Tony - once you get that scroll saw going you will enjoy it -There is a Dremel saw here on the site for sale = good saw I have owned on just like it for over 6 years - it has done me good = you say you know alot about the Revolutionary War era - find some patterns or make your on on that topic and show the scrolled picture while giving your presentation- Just an idea

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome to the sawdust pile. You are a lady of many talents. I have a full wood working shop, but I really love scroll sawing. It is one of the safest saws to use, but does require common sense. If you find your pattern lifting while cutting, try using the eraser end of a pencil to hold it down, rather than putting your finger near the blade, as some of us less respectful people do. You may find scroll sawing to be an addicting craft. We'd enjoy seeing pictures of your work.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Mom! It's great to have you! I hope you'll share pix of your work and visit often.

Barbara

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hello and welcome to the site. Glad you found us!
Sounds like you are well versed in many areas. BTW I love the Mabry Mill. Maybe we crossed paths there. You might remember me, I was the man visiting that was from NC?? :icon_scra
Your jigsaw sounds like a good start. Its one of the safer cutting tools generally. I appreciate your "attachment" to your fingers and other extremeties and share a similar philosophy.
Any tool can be as safe or as hazardous as you decide to let it be. There are lots of members in the greater Raleigh area and a helping hand if needed should only be a request away.
Jump in when and where you can.

Rob

New User
Rob
Welcome, you have a long list of skills. My wife is a big knitter, sweaters, lace shawls, etc. But doesn't do any spinning, though she's been looking at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS